1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I searched the net to find an inexpensive way to have heated roosts. I use 2x4's since the birds can sit on their feet and keep toes from freezing. I noticed today, one guinea has a few claws missing [​IMG]

I found this & I think I am going to do it

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/26/

2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    That is an interesting article. Keep us posted on how this works for you.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Also I am thinking of how NASTY that carpeting would get, being pooed on all the time.

I would think (?) that guineas would be like chickens, where as long as you give them a wide enough roost, like a 2x4 with the wide (4") side up, their tummy feathers cover their toes and so no toe-frostbite problem (except of course for whatever they do during the day, which a heated roost is not going to help against anyhow).

Heat tape, used "creatively", starts a LOT of fires [​IMG]

JMO,

Pat

4. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I wonder if heat tape ran through the middle of a PVC or metal pipe wouldn't work better and be less of a fire rick, and easier to clean?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My issue with heating coops and roosts is what happens when your electricity goes out and all of a sudden these birds that are used to it being warm and cozy are forced to be in cold temps? I'd much rather have my birds used to dealing with changing temps and not have to worry about it.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree with this one.

My birds went though a cold spree of 10-20F weather, yeah I know that's not cold for many areas, just unusual for here. Add high humidity and it gets chilly quick. But my birds just live in tractors which are just tarped... they did fine. No frost bite, nothing, no worse for the wear! But I heard of some cases of frost bite and cold issues with people in about the same area I am in, who's birds were a bit too spoiled and couldn't handle the weather.

Are you sure the birds lost the claws because of frost bite? Not something else? If they can sit on their feet, probably got it hurt in the day.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Sounds like an invitation to burn your coop down. Be careful. Are you sure that a heated roost would be the best option?

And I'm not trying to flame ANYONE here, but IMO, any bird in North Dakota isn't going to be "warm and cozy" or a "bit too spoiled" in the winter, heat added or not. C'mon people, throw the guy a bone here.

8. Klorinth

Klorinth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have to agree that there are a few issues with the design. But... Seeing as I live farther north and understand the need for heating, finding new ways to warm a coop is always a good thing. Remember that some of the old designs for coops included wood stoves in the middle of them or even under them. There are always dangerous things we can do. If this design can be changed for the better then I say go for it. If not then try another.

Personally I would skip the carpet and go for a way to heat the perch itself. Pipe with tape inside it then filled with concrete? Sand? Who knows... there may be a safe way to do it. Try electric radiant heating wire. Our next kennels for the dogs will include radiant heating for the winter. Why not the coop?

Good luck and have fun with it!

9. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    What about an 8' flouresent light inside 2" ABS sewer pipe wraped in duct tape? Only 80 watts and doesnt get too hot. Or... I don't know what I'm talking about....[​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Y'all need to remember that things like heat tape and fluorescent lights, that produce heat (actually it is the *ballast* of the fluorescent fixture that produces most of the heat), are designed to work in a particular sort of environment (i.e. their intended use) where heat is being shed at a certain rate. If you insulate them by embedding or surrounding them in stuff they weren't designed to be embedded or surrounded in, they get much hotter, sometimes too hot for the materials and cause a fire.

Heat tapes are a pretty common cause of fires; MISUSED heat tapes are by far the commonest source of heat-tape fires; and putting insulation over heat tapes not designed to be used under insulation, or wrapping it over itself or closer than the mfr says, is probably about the most common WAY to start a fire by misusing heat tape.

Just don't do it, eh?

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by