Heated water base question

You don't include much details which heater you have. I would protect it from weather regardless. You can make something out of pallets, and cover with clear plastic. This way chickens can get into enclosure, and drink without the snow on ground.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

You don't include much details which heater you have. I would protect it from weather regardless. You can make something out of pallets, and cover with clear plastic. This way chickens can get into enclosure, and drink without the snow on ground.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
It’s the little giant brand heater base

We just got a electric heater base for our galvanized waterer to keep it from freezing, is it okay if that base gets snowed on and for anyone who owns this product, does it feel really hot to the touch?

I have 3 of them. All they are is a metal tub with a light bulb inside and a flat cover of it.
Easy to make. I kept one outside my kitchen door winter of 18-19 here in Maine. Many nights down to -20F. Cover with snow etc. Worked like a charm. I can put 3 Arizona Tea jugs on it. ( I gallon jugs). Heat a plastic waterer 5 gallons. Won't heat the bucket of the waterer but does keep the trough around the bucket unfrozen. And it doesn't melt the plastic. Not the AT jugs either. But it will melt Talento ice cream jars. Must be a different type of plastic.

And do the get hot. I didn't realize how hot until I put my hand right down flat on one. The 5 gallon waterer I have covers the whole base heater so the chickens don't get burnt. I keep water in the bucket so they can't knock it over. Just replenish the trough as needed.

ETA: I don't use galvanized waterers; they rust.

I have 3 of them. All they are is a metal tub with a light bulb inside and a flat cover of it.
Easy to make. I kept one outside my kitchen door winter of 18-19 here in Maine. Many nights down to -20F. Cover with snow etc. Worked like a charm. I can put 3 Arizona Tea jugs on it. ( I gallon jugs). Heat a plastic waterer 5 gallons. Won't heat the bucket of the waterer but does keep the trough around the bucket unfrozen. And it doesn't melt the plastic. Not the AT jugs either. But it will melt Talento ice cream jars. Must be a different type of plastic.

And do the get hot. I didn't realize how hot until I put my hand right down flat on one. The 5 gallon waterer I have covers the whole base heater so the chickens don't get burnt. I keep water in the bucket so they can't knock it over. Just replenish the trough as needed.

Thanks for all your help !

Do you think it could burn my chickens ? The waterer doesn’t go to the edges of the heater so it is exposed around the edges for the chickens to step on

It’s the little giant brand heater base
I checked it out, and see it as a good product. It is UL and CSA certified. I would certainly have it plugged into a GFIC outlet.

Do you think it could burn my chickens ? The waterer doesn’t go to the edges of the heater so it is exposed around the edges for the chickens to step on
I don't think there is a ledge large enough in width for your chickens to decide to walk on.

We just got a electric heater base for our galvanized waterer to keep it from freezing, is it okay if that base gets snowed on and for anyone who owns this product, does it feel really hot to the touch?
I have used the Farm Innovators brand from TSC inside my coop through 2 winters. My coops are well ventilated to avoid moisture buildup. I bought a second unit (same brand) for my newly remodeled coop.
20200816_075647_resized_kindlephoto-35001765.jpg

Mine says to use in a covered area. So I would say to keep out of snow or rain.
The heating element is about the size of the red shaded area. My unit says it uses 125 watts.

If your Brand uses the same watts, it was probably manufactured in the same factory in China as mine and Branded with the company selling the product.

The heating element comes on when the temperature drops to 35F.
It's important to keep a clean contact for maximum heat transfer. Shavings, dirt or even a pebble on base or bottom of waterer and water may freeze.

To prolong life of heater unplug before removing waterer in temps below 35F.
Mine has kept water from freezing down to -1 Fahrenheit inside coop.
20191207_092057_resized.jpg

My extension cord is plugged into a GFCI outlet. GC

Back
Top Bottom