Heated Waterer.... anyone using this product?

Wanted to jump in here as a newbie and going into my 3rd winter, this past winter we used a bucket with an aquarium heater, I believe the one I purchased was about $15(probably less if purchased from discount retailer) and I was able to regulate the temp on it. Since it is submersible no issues w/ the water, it is plugged in up high, so no safety issues. This worked out fantastic for us.

OK...day one with my heated waterer (hanging)....Water was fine, 1 chicken looked like she bumped it, probably a crash landing off the roost, and just as I thought.....pine shavings and a little poo. Don't know if I'm gonna like this thing in the coop....might work better in the pen. It's covered all around and has straw on the ground instead of shavings. Looking into the other options some of you guys have mentioned. I hate dirty water!!

The cookie tin thing works sorta okay, but it rusts quickly and if you try to paint the inside I was worried about it possibly catching fire. That idea lasted one winter.

I have had this heated waterer a couple of years now and it works fine. I keep mine outside. If the plug is grounded it doesn't bother me to plug/unplug to clean and set it back up after cleaning. If it's too cold to clean at the coop (where I normally have a hose and everything), I just take it up to the house, clean it and refill it there and bring it back. Makes for about 10 extra minutes of work...big deal. It *is* a bit flimsy, so getting the hang of filling it and putting it back together without it coming apart on you will take a few times, but once you have it mastered it's no problem...beats taking water out who-knows-how-many-times-per-day in the winter (and since I'm disabled and walking is a pain...literally!) this heated waterer has made it a good deal easier on my back.

If it's raining and you're worried about the electrical thing, keep one of those rubber bowls out with water in it so you know the chickens have something to drink until it's dry enough to clean and refill the heated waterer, but as I said, I've had it outside for a couple of years now, in all our winter weather (we just got done with some bad heavy rain that has saturated the ground to the point I sink an inch or better even in established grass yard) and have yet to have a problem with the electrical part of it.

Quote:
can you send pic of the heater you are talking about?

is this better than the nipples or would that work too???

so much to think about
pop.gif

It's offical.....I dislike my waterer!!! Took it out of the coop cause chickens kept bumping it, I spilled water trying to hang it and tonight literally dumped the whole thing when taking it ut of the pen.....stepped on the cord & the bottom came off....water all over my feet! So I'm stuck with it for now, gonna keep it in the pen on a flat base and decide what my other options are. I will continue to use it for now cause I've put the money into buying it and have nothing else at the moment!!

P.S. I am not a klutzy person at all even if my post sounds like it!! lol

Back
Top Bottom