Heated waterer hack

Sunseeker

Hatching
Feb 1, 2020
A couple months ago I purchased a 3 gallon heated waterer (pictured) so I wouldn’t have to schlep out warm water in the mornings when the temps dipped into freezing. It was kind of a last second purchase at my local feed store, so I didn’t really take the time to look it over well. 🤦‍♀️Which I’m mad at myself for spending $45 and it not being convenient to fill AT ALL.
It turns out, to fill this, you have to tip over and fill from the bottom then tip it all back over. It’s such a hassle!!! I would like to know if anyone has hacked these or foresees any issues if I were to drill a new hole in the top and plugging it after filling with water from the top??

Attachments

• 52F1A5E0-B016-4949-9208-6003ABA5B9CE.jpeg
    52F1A5E0-B016-4949-9208-6003ABA5B9CE.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 3
I have not hacked them, but I live in a cold place where heated water is a necessity. I use rubber feed pans with a bird bath heater. If the heater fails, I'm able to get the ice out easily.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 0744R_zoom.jpg
    0744R_zoom.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
There is a reason there is no fill hole at the top as a convient way to fill the bucket. If there was a hole up there and you filled the bucket, the water would pour right out the bottom hole until the top hole gets plugged back up because the suction of the air pocket is what holds the water in the bucket. When the bottom hole submerges in water, air cannot enter the bucket so water quits pouring out. If there is a hole on top none of this works.

There are waterers that have a fill hole on top but it also has a plunger on the bottom that closes so water does not pour out as you fill the waterer up. If you don't like the waterer put it on Craigslist or something. Drilling a hole in it will ruin it.

I bought one of those waterers like @Sunseeker has, and also hated it. It's in my tack room as an emergency backup unit, which I hope to never have to use again.
I like the metal heated bases, with 3 gallon metal waterers on top, and I have two out there for my 30+ birds.
I've also used the heater in the dog dish, and now have a heater dog bowl out in the barn for the barn cat, and the chickens when they visit the barn.
Mary

For about the same price, this is a far easier to use unit, if you want a premade waterer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/premier-1-heated-poultry-waterer.11903/
Thank you!
Yes, it looks like I will be purchasing yet another waterer...🤦‍♀️ I saw this one you mention in my Backyard Poultry magazine shortly after I purchased the one I don’t like.
It looks like we’re going to have another freezing 🥶 spell here this next week, so I’ll use it thru this season, but will be for sure looking into buying this new one by next winter!!

There is a reason there is no fill hole at the top as a convient way to fill the bucket. If there was a hole up there and you filled the bucket, the water would pour right out the bottom hole until the top hole gets plugged back up because the suction of the air pocket is what holds the water in the bucket. When the bottom hole submerges in water, air cannot enter the bucket so water quits pouring out. If there is a hole on top none of this works.

There are waterers that have a fill hole on top but it also has a plunger on the bottom that closes so water does not pour out as you fill the waterer up. If you don't like the waterer put it on Craigslist or something. Drilling a hole in it will ruin it.
Thank you for letting me know about this. That’s why I asked here, since I was unsure...the last thing I want to do is ruin it. I will consider Craigslist or Marketplace on FB...someone may be happy to buy it from me for a truly discounted price. Thanks again for your great advice!!

Back
Top Bottom