Heated waterer?

I use a heated dog bowl as well.
dog bowl.jpg

Thanks! The heated bowls seem cheaper as well.
I've used a heated dog bowl but my rooster and two WLH hens got frostbite on their wattles because they would get wet when they got a drink and we had a really cold, cold snap.
I switched to this heated base fount waterer that I keep at chest height and it works great.
I'm also in zone 5b.
heated waterer.jpg

I didn't use heated waterers for the first 7 years as my power options were rather suspect in their previous setup. I did the black rubber feed pan routine and it honestly wasn't a big deal. I moved and have heated horse waterers near the chickens and geese. Just built them a ramp to use one side of the fount. Still have the rubber feed pans but when they freeze solid they happily run over to the horses for a drink. I also ferment in the winter to get a little more water in them.

My watering system is similar to rosemarythyme's except mine is home made. It uses a container, in my case it is a 14 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. Mine works great for me as I'm a bit older and I am afraid to check on the chickens when it's below 0 with 18 inches of snow in the yard. The 14 gallons will last the chickens a good while or at least until I can get someone to check on the birds.

Back
Top Bottom