Heated waterer?

I use a heated dog bowl as well.
dog bowl.jpg

Here is our water setup
The water is kept under the raised coop. We have an outlet installed by an electrician in the run. We have a 250 watt stock tank de-icer in the bucket. I do check that the water is still flowing on the really cold days. We generally plug this in starting in November. Although it is temperature controlled and only goes on when needed.

Attachments

• deicer.JPG
    deicer.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 45
  • water.JPG
    water.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 44
My watering system is similar to rosemarythyme's except mine is home made. It uses a container, in my case it is a 14 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. Mine works great for me as I'm a bit older and I am afraid to check on the chickens when it's below 0 with 18 inches of snow in the yard. The 14 gallons will last the chickens a good while or at least until I can get someone to check on the birds.

I live in zone 2b so when it gets to -10° to -40°, the chickens choose not to leave the coop. I started out using a heated dog bowl waterer, but because of the large surface area, it caused so much moisture buildup in the coop, that my cockerels got frost bite on their combs and the coop door kept freezing shut. I found myself with a hammer and pry bar trying to get into the coop on a daily basis. I switched to this covered heated waterer with nipples and there were no more problems.

It only turns on when temps are below freezing. It is advertised as only working to temps as cold as 0°, but it has never frozen up on me. I bought it on Amazon.

Attachments

• 51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 21
Thanks! The heated bowls seem cheaper as well.
I've used a heated dog bowl but my rooster and two WLH hens got frostbite on their wattles because they would get wet when they got a drink and we had a really cold, cold snap.
I switched to this heated base fount waterer that I keep at chest height and it works great.
I'm also in zone 5b.
heated waterer.jpg

I didn't use heated waterers for the first 7 years as my power options were rather suspect in their previous setup. I did the black rubber feed pan routine and it honestly wasn't a big deal. I moved and have heated horse waterers near the chickens and geese. Just built them a ramp to use one side of the fount. Still have the rubber feed pans but when they freeze solid they happily run over to the horses for a drink. I also ferment in the winter to get a little more water in them.

Back
Top Bottom