Heated waterer?

I used to use a heated dog bowl, but it would get so dirty SO FAST. It was really gross. And because of the large exposed surface area, it would still freeze when it got really cold.

Now I use this waterer (https://rentacoop.com/products/5-gallon4-horizontal-nipples-chicken-waterer) in combination with a plug-in bird bath heater. This is my year-round waterer, and in the winder I run the bird bath heater plug through the hole in the top of the waterer. I am very luck that when I bought my property, there was an old horse run-in that had electricity/outlets.

I have generally found that keeping the waterer in a place where it can get sunshine but also is protected from the wind can make a huge difference.

And while I know this isn't your question, I do want to mention that even with a heated waterer, you never want to get complacent and assume the water is still good. I check my chickens' water every day (and change it out every 2-3 days), but one day I went out and looked at it and I was like "Great! They have plenty of water!" and then realized just a short while later that the water was frozen. (The power had gone out when I was asleep and the outlet needed to be reset). So in the winter my routine is now to tip the waterer slightly to hear it slosh or tap one of the nipples to make sure that the water is still liquid.

I have benefited with my goats with the 2 gallon heated water bowl I have. It’s really for dogs but with most of my freezing temperatures being only at night time and with only four goats has been more than helpful. I was thinking about another one for the chickens. It’s easier for the goats because they have electricity near their shelter where is the chickens Will need an extension cord. But for me it’s worth it those weeks or months we have below freezing in the evening. Especially since when bad weather hits I usually have to work at night because of the bad weather. So it’s helpful when I get home at 7-9 AM after 14 - 16 hour shift and just dead tired but I don’t have to worry about dealing with a bowl of ice. By that time I can usually turn it off and it’s good for the rest of the day. It depends on the climate I’m sure. And I always leave it just outside of the shelter. Because I don’t want moisture buildup but that way it’s easily accessible at the same time

I am very thrifty :idunnoso instead of buying a heater one we made one.
Started with a Christmas popcorn tin
drilled a hole to accept the light fixture with a 60 Watt bulb and filled it with pea stone for my heat sink
1665240754904.png

Put a small relief hole in the top to release some of the heat generated by the incandescent bulb.

1665240806822.png

And then place the waterer on top and plugged it in.

1665240854716.png

Bought this from TSC to try this year.
1665418704112.jpeg

I may try Velcro sticky strips to keep the waterer from sliding off. My water is up on two bricks right now. Will just stick the base under it.

Heated water is one of the single best things you can do for your birds during the cold winter months. Dehydration is a significant winter stressor. I also use a heated dog water dish one inside the coop and one out.

Back
Top Bottom