Heated waterer?

I use a 3-quart vacuum-insulated pail and change the water first thing in the morning and again late in the day. It works well for me winter and summer.

Here is our water setup
The water is kept under the raised coop. We have an outlet installed by an electrician in the run. We have a 250 watt stock tank de-icer in the bucket. I do check that the water is still flowing on the really cold days. We generally plug this in starting in November. Although it is temperature controlled and only goes on when needed.

Attachments

• deicer.JPG
    deicer.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 45
  • water.JPG
    water.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 44
Can anyone recommend a large heated waterer that would be better suited for geese & ducks? Last winter I had such a challenging time with my geese splashing all the water out of my small heated chicken water bowl. Looking for other ideas for this winter....something maybe that holds more water. I'm in western NC in the mountains and it gets quite cold here.

Can anyone recommend a large heated waterer that would be better suited for geese & ducks? Last winter I had such a challenging time with my geese splashing all the water out of my small heated chicken water bowl. Looking for other ideas for this winter....something maybe that holds more water. I'm in western NC in the mountains and it gets quite cold here.
You can get heated buckets. Some of my friends have them and it seems to work well for their ducks.

This is the best one by far I have found for ducks. Comes in 3 gallon and 4.5 gallon, its rubber so you don't have to deal with the plastic cracking and it's rated down to -35F so you won't have to worry about it ever freezing.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...MI_4i4wunQ-gIV58mUCR0fGAjEEAQYAyABEgLF8PD_BwE

I've used a heated dog bowl but my rooster and two WLH hens got frostbite on their wattles because they would get wet when they got a drink and we had a really cold, cold snap.
I switched to this heated base fount waterer that I keep at chest height and it works great.
I'm also in zone 5b.
View attachment 3279272
That’s the one my sil gifted me. I’ve had to replace the dome once in 6 years but it works well. My girls are piggies and try to stand in the watering so cleaning more often is required and that means using the kitchen sink during cold snaps. Great product. The dog heater would be used for a bathtub w my less than brilliant girls.

I used to use a heated dog bowl, but it would get so dirty SO FAST. It was really gross. And because of the large exposed surface area, it would still freeze when it got really cold.

Now I use this waterer (https://rentacoop.com/products/5-gallon4-horizontal-nipples-chicken-waterer) in combination with a plug-in bird bath heater. This is my year-round waterer, and in the winder I run the bird bath heater plug through the hole in the top of the waterer. I am very luck that when I bought my property, there was an old horse run-in that had electricity/outlets.

I have generally found that keeping the waterer in a place where it can get sunshine but also is protected from the wind can make a huge difference.

And while I know this isn't your question, I do want to mention that even with a heated waterer, you never want to get complacent and assume the water is still good. I check my chickens' water every day (and change it out every 2-3 days), but one day I went out and looked at it and I was like "Great! They have plenty of water!" and then realized just a short while later that the water was frozen. (The power had gone out when I was asleep and the outlet needed to be reset). So in the winter my routine is now to tip the waterer slightly to hear it slosh or tap one of the nipples to make sure that the water is still liquid.

This is the best one by far I have found for ducks. Comes in 3 gallon and 4.5 gallon, its rubber so you don't have to deal with the plastic cracking and it's rated down to -35F so you won't have to worry about it ever freezing.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/heated-rubber-flat-back-bucket/E002891 012/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4i4wunQ-gIV58mUCR0fGAjEEAQYAyABEgLF8PD_BwE
I'll definitely look into this- thanks! They make such a mess with the smaller bowls that are designed for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom