heater for button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by laughingull, Feb 20, 2011.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    What does everyone use to keep their button quail warm enough? I currently have a heat lamp on top of my cage but at night when they actually need the heat I imagine they, and definitely I, would much rather have it off. Last night I ran my space heater (and put blankets over my windows which don't quite close), but I am not used to my room being warm and found it a bit difficult to sleep (was trying to keep the room at about 65 but it kept sneaking up to 70+, then when I set the heater for 60 it would drop into the low 50s.) So I am wondering- is it possible to use a heat pad or hot rock of some sort under part of the cage/sand or what?

2. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    Mine live in a large rabbit hutch outside and in the winter I fill the hutch with hay and at night I cover the whole hutch with a tarp to block any wind...they do just fine.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:For button quail?? They shouldn't be outside and they shouldn't be in a 'large hutch' unless you are a very nice person who spoils them. They also shouldn't be on wire. I'm thinking you mean coturnix [​IMG]

My buttons are in the house so they get whatever heat there is in here. I don't give them any extra other than what's already in the house. I'm sure you could use a reptile rock or a heat tape or something of that nature.

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    My button quail are inside so I don't have to worry about the temp. I had them in an extra room that I have on the back of my house but it doesn't have central heat and air. I was worried that my portable heaters would conk out or something else would happen and kill my buttons, so they moved into my basement. It would cost a small fortune to keep my garage warm enough for them so that isn't an option.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I keep m ine in the living room. I try to keep it just below 70*, but sometimes higher. I ghave them right next to the vent and when I brood chicks next to them the heatlamp keeps the whole room warm.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by