Heater lamps and 5 week old chicks question

Stellabobella

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
Hi:)
I have 12, five week old chicks (red sex link and black sex links) in their new coop. We have electricity out there for their heater plates. They have been thriving out there for a good 2 weeks as well. It is very roomy. I can even stand in it lol

When I go to clean the coop every morning, there is little to none chicken poop under the plate.
This morning a lot of them were on the roost ( 1st shelf) so I am wondering if they have moved on from the plates?

Northeast Tennessee - average daily is 70/80ish during the day and low's are average 55/62 for the next 10 days.

My direct inquiry is this, can I take the plates out or just wait until they are older. 8 weeks? 6?

Thank you:)

Hi:)
I have 12, five week old chicks (red sex link and black sex links) in their new coop. We have electricity out there for their heater plates. They have been thriving out there for a good 2 weeks as well. It is very roomy. I can even stand in it lol

When I go to clean the coop every morning, there is little to none chicken poop under the plate.
This morning a lot of them were on the roost ( 1st shelf) so I am wondering if they have moved on from the plates?

Northeast Tennessee - average daily is 70/80ish during the day and low's are average 55/62 for the next 10 days.

My direct inquiry is this, can I take the plates out or just wait until they are older. 8 weeks? 6?

Thank you:)

I think they would be fine if you took the plates out now. Usually people say the temperature should be lowered to more like 70°F at about 5-6 weeks old, and then weaned completely from heat at 6 weeks. Since your average temperature is about that, even a little warmer, they'll be fine.

If you wanted to keep the plate in for one more week, that would be fine as well just in case they'll need the heat with your slightly cooler temperatures predicted, but especially since you have 12 of them, they will be able to keep each other warm so they really don't need any heat at all anymore.

Just my two cents! Wishing you good luck with your chooks!

I think they would be fine if you took the plates out now. Usually people say the temperature should be lowered to more like 70°F at about 5-6 weeks old, and then weaned completely from heat at 6 weeks. Since your average temperature is about that, even a little warmer, they'll be fine.

If you wanted to keep the plate in for one more week, that would be fine as well just in case they'll need the heat with your slightly cooler temperatures predicted, but especially since you have 12 of them, they will be able to keep each other warm so they really don't need any heat at all anymore.

Just my two cents! Wishing you good luck with your chooks!
Thank you:) I think I will take them out. They are shoulder to shoulder. Appreciate the reply!

Back
Top Bottom