Heath question & concern

Bocephus1

Hatching
Jul 17, 2020
I have a Speckled Sussex 10 months old. She recently ended a long broody stage. Seemed fine for several days but then for the past couple of day’s she has been crouching low, or hunched & sometimes with her wings slightly spread but low To the ground. Similar to when I would set her out so she would eat before the rest of the gals got let out. Yesterday, when I let my birds out (I have 5), she went straight to the water dispenser and drank a whole lot of water. I also believe she laid an egg there in front of the water dispenser but it was white instead of tan (If that’s possible). She also lays the smallest size out of all the other gals so it appeared to be hers. She doesn’t have a very big comb and it is more pale red or pink. She isn’t as aggressive when I put food out in the morning (usually leftovers & fresh spinach). She also ate some scratch in the afternoon but not as aggressively as in the past.
All my other gals seem fine.
None of them like to be touched, let alone be held, but when she was broody, I was able to take her off the nest and give her first dibs on the fresh greens and scraps. She seemed fine for a broody hen but I also noticed she didn‘t have a lot of meat on her bones. Figured it was because of being broody.
Also, it’s mid June in Dallas. Mornings recently have been in the upper 70’s & mid 90’s for the highs.
Any advice on what the problem is and how to remedy it?

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she was still a little on the broody side ...? I’m not an expert, but my broody bantams are always a bit on the light weight side when broody, and are always puffed up when taking a break from the nest. Maybe you can try giving her some NutriDrench and/or scrambled/hard boiled egg for some extra nutrition - oh, and electrolytes/probiotics in the water. Hopefully someone else with more experience will ring in. Good luck!

Lately, it’s been strawberries, raw broccoli with stalks cut small or sometimes grated, leftover spaghetti, leftover salad sometimes with dressing, raisins. Of course not all at once. The point is that it is a variety. Mostly healthy but sometimes not.
The only thing I buy specifically (besides layer pellets) is fresh spinach. Most of the other fruits & veggies have exceeded their freshness that we would eat ourselves, but they’re not rotten.
Actually, I think CalBikieMomma is right. The hen in question seems better today and actually laid a normal egg.
I was worried that she was broody for so long. I don’t recall for how long but it seemed longer than a month. Maybe 6 weeks.
Thanks to all!!
Bo

I have a Speckled Sussex 10 months old. She recently ended a long broody stage. Seemed fine for several days but then for the past couple of day’s she has been crouching low, or hunched & sometimes with her wings slightly spread but low To the ground

she went straight to the water dispenser and drank a whole lot of water. I also believe she laid an egg there in front of the water dispenser but it was white instead of tan

Lately, it’s been strawberries, raw broccoli with stalks cut small or sometimes grated, leftover spaghetti, leftover salad sometimes with dressing, raisins. Of course not all at once. The point is that it is a variety. Mostly healthy but sometimes not.
The only thing I buy specifically (besides layer pellets) is fresh spinach.
Check to make sure he crop is emptying overnight, if it's not emptying then treat her for crop issues. Drinking a lot of water...often there's a crop problem.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How long is a long broody stage? More than 21 days? Did she hatch chicks out?

I would provide her with the layer pellets and one treat a day (egg, fish, meat would be good for extra protein). Give her 1 calcium tablet once a day for 3 days and some poultry vitamins. You can give these along with any crop treatment that you may need to add to getting her back in shape.
Cut out the spinach. Offer oyster shell free choice.

Often there's a crop issue that accompanies reproductive problems, but it would be good to get a fecal float to see if worms are a contributing factor.

It's possible for a brown egg layer to have white shells. Their shells really are white until a dye is applied in the shell gland. Sounds like she's been broody for a while and is trying to come back into lay and having issues. Hopefully with supportive care from you she will recover fairly quickly.

Photos of the hen and her poop would be welcome too.

Back
Top Bottom