heating a coop

If you are housing healthy, fully-feathered birds (or chicks with a broody mama) there is no need to provide supplemental heat in 99.9% of situations.

Heating your coop runs the high risk of fire. Chickens don't require supplemental heat in their coop...in most cases they do well down to -20 degrees. They produce their own 'heat' .. the real thing you want to worry about during the winter is drafts.

That would be devastating!

As they say, A picture is worth a thousand words. That should get everyone's attention. I certainly did get mine. And being new to all of this, and reading everything that I could, I'm planning on letting my chickens supply the heat. I do plan on heating the water though. I'm going to make the cookie tin heater, and ordered a thermo cube from walmart yesterday.

Last edited:
That would be devastating!

As they say, A picture is worth a thousand words. That should get everyone's attention. I certainly did get mine. And being new to all of this, and reading everything that I could, I'm planning on letting my chickens supply the heat. I do plan on heating the water though. I'm going to make the cookie tin heater, and ordered a thermo cube from walmart yesterday.
Like you, I live in snow country, and had the misconception that my girls needed a heated coop...if I'm freezing my buns off they must be, too...not! It's not heating the coop we should be worried about this winter...it's the humidity the flock produces from their own body heat. Humidity/dampness is what'll get them. And they do need ventilation...no direct drafts especially toward the roost area, but they do need fresh air to help expel the humidity.

So while we bundle up with our double-sweats, parkas and hats and plow our way through the snow out to the coop each day, our girls should be fine.

HINT: take an old bath towel, cut it in strips about 8" wide and staple to your roost bar (with the staples on the underside). This helps their feet stay warmer and are easily changed out as needed.

Best of luck to you and wishing you well!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom