1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heating a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mykl1, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mykl1

mykl1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    hobart indiana
    What is the cheapest way to heat a coop?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If you are housing healthy, fully-feathered birds (or chicks with a broody mama) there is no need to provide supplemental heat in 99.9% of situations.

3. debbie_nibbles

debbie_nibbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Port Angeles, Wa
    I've never heated mine unless it's for chicks, then just a heat bulb. They do fine on their own :)

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Heating your coop runs the high risk of fire. Chickens don't require supplemental heat in their coop...in most cases they do well down to -20 degrees. They produce their own 'heat' .. the real thing you want to worry about during the winter is drafts.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

That would be devastating!

As they say, A picture is worth a thousand words. That should get everyone's attention. I certainly did get mine. And being new to all of this, and reading everything that I could, I'm planning on letting my chickens supply the heat. I do plan on heating the water though. I'm going to make the cookie tin heater, and ordered a thermo cube from walmart yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Like you, I live in snow country, and had the misconception that my girls needed a heated coop...if I'm freezing my buns off they must be, too...not! It's not heating the coop we should be worried about this winter...it's the humidity the flock produces from their own body heat. Humidity/dampness is what'll get them. And they do need ventilation...no direct drafts especially toward the roost area, but they do need fresh air to help expel the humidity.

So while we bundle up with our double-sweats, parkas and hats and plow our way through the snow out to the coop each day, our girls should be fine.

HINT: take an old bath towel, cut it in strips about 8" wide and staple to your roost bar (with the staples on the underside). This helps their feet stay warmer and are easily changed out as needed.

Best of luck to you and wishing you well! [​IMG]

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How about, nothing at all, and let they chickens take care of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by