Heating coop in below zero temps

Zoey..

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
I’ve never heated my coop, ever. But the next week Iowa is expecting night temps to be -16 to -24. Anyone deal with this and add heat to their coops at night? Was thinking of doing a heat lamp later at night until early morning. The girls have been fine in 10 and below the past few weeks, but it’s going to get pretty darn cold. Access to water with a heated base and food, bedding and straw in coop. Coops about 6-7 ft High so lamp can be high enough. Also no drafts,
Does have ventilation along ceiling. Wondering your opinions!

We live in eastern Iowa, and I'm also worried about the coming bitter cold. I've had chickens for 6 years, and we've had below zero temps without heating our coop. Expect frostbite, but they have done fine otherwise. We are trying to come up with a way to add supplemental heat for next week, as we are expecting -30 with wind chill -50. I worry about heat lamps and fire. I'm curious if anyone has safe heating ideas as -30 to -50 is too cold!

I agree that there are temps that are just to dang cold to survive.

I cannot advise on heating other than to say if using a heat lamp do NOT rely on the pinch clamp to hold it at all.

Secure it, secure it again, and then secure a third time.
Chain, screw eye, a second chain, whatever it takes to keep it from getting knocked down or falling.

We have read many posts of people losing coops and birds to hear lamps.

Use extreme caution so yours isn't next.

Oh and small coops or prefabs have additional issues trying to use heat lamps. For those perhaps a flat panel heater would be better.

Last edited:
6CE9D4BF-4533-4625-9E15-AEA0B7EA2975.jpeg
I use this type of heat lamp and 250 watt red bulbs and secure it with rope, chain and zip ties.

I lived in Iowa and had guineas which are a bit more cold resistant than chickens but still heated my coop when it got much below zero. I used a few things for heat as my coop was pretty large. First, I used a heat lamp but made sure it was wired securely in place and there was absolutely no risk that it could fall and start a fire. Second, I had a ceiling mount radiant heater like you’d use in a shop or garage. It was inclosed in a cage so as not to risk burns and I bolted it to the rafters of the coop so I was sure nothing could knock it down. This is similar is what I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Optimus...Mount-Utility-Portable-Heater-H9010/205433957
If you use either the heat lamp or something like the shop heater that I used, be very careful to secure them very well to reduce any risk of starting a fire or burning your chickens.
There are also some safer options out there, but I’ve not used them so cannot say how well they work or how much heat they generate. I did find this link to several well regarded heat sources for coops:
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/chicken-coop-heaters/

Good luck and stay warm!

We are in those temperatures now, and have them most years through January and into March. I have never added heat and no one has ever died from the cold. I even have open doorways that face east and south.

At night birds will sit close and share body heat. A lamp may interfere with that. Hens will also tuck her head under a wing to keep her face warm. Roosters will not and are more prone to frostbite on combs and wattles. Wide roosts will help birds cover their toes properly to prevent frostbite on them.

I don't heat because for me it's not worth the risk of a fire. I also do want my birds becoming dependent on a heat source. Everyone does things differently. I'm just telling you your birds won't freeze as long as the housing is adequate. I personally feed more scratch and corn in the winter as I want a bit more fat on my birds, and for them to have more calories from carbs in order to stay warm.

I'm not sure how big your coop is, other than the 6-7 feet high that you mentioned. A heat lamp isn't going to heat the air in a large area, especially starting at such low temps. I would brainstorm ways to create a warm area within the coop that the birds can huddle around. You can see that @chickens really has done this in a corner of the coop, but I'd bet the other side of that coop is a bit cooler. A panel heater is another tool that people use for birds to cozy up to. This is not my image, but will give you an idea, you could build a cinder block heater pretty easily and economically. The cinder block will hold the heat from the light bulb and act more like the panel heater. Personally I like this idea because the bulb and wiring are hidden and cannot easily be broken by a chicken or chewed by a rodent or have water splashed on them or have shaving on them to ignite, etc. It's a bit safer overall than an exposed bulb.

1ec5ec92d1f7ef5c092fff5ece8704ce--cinder-blocks-cinder-block-ideas.jpg

I'm not sure how big your coop is, other than the 6-7 feet high that you mentioned. A heat lamp isn't going to heat the air in a large area, especially starting at such low temps. I would brainstorm ways to create a warm area within the coop that the birds can huddle around. You can see that @chickens really has done this in a corner of the coop, but I'd bet the other side of that coop is a bit cooler. A panel heater is another tool that people use for birds to cozy up to. This is not my image, but will give you an idea, you could build a cinder block heater pretty easily and economically. The cinder block will hold the heat from the light bulb and act more like the panel heater. Personally I like this idea because the bulb and wiring are hidden and cannot easily be broken by a chicken or chewed by a rodent or have water splashed on them or have shaving on them to ignite, etc. It's a bit safer overall than an exposed bulb.

1ec5ec92d1f7ef5c092fff5ece8704ce--cinder-blocks-cinder-block-ideas.jpg
Yes this isn't in a Coop but in my Dog Run with vapour barrier plastic all around to block out weather. Only that area is warmer than the freezing temps all around the Run. My water still freezes and my Ducks definitely pick and choose If they want more heat or not.
All they have is an isulated Dog house or that heated spot if they need it?..

Back
Top Bottom