1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heating lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennings Gamefowl, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    i live in SC and the temp here been 70-80.. I have chicks coming 2morrow and wondering if I should leave the heat lamp on all day.. they will be in a out side brooder about 6 x 6 brooder.....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they are day olds, then yes they need the heat lamp. 90 to 95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week.
    Let your chicks be your guide. Huddling under the light, too cold. As far away from the light as they can possibly get, too hot.

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I am new too, but yes I do think that you should leave them under the heat lamp all day. Place a thermometer in with them to know if they get too heated. Day old chicks should be kept at 95 degrees for the first week and then lower the temp by 5 every week thereafter. Also, watch for cool breezes and drafts since they will be outside. They will move elsewhere in the brooder if they get hot. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a remote thermometer in my brooder. I place the sensor where the chick congregate. They are not laying under the light but beside it. The chicks prefer 92 degrees. They where born 3/8. Just an experiment. I have always followed the guidelines but thought I would try something different. John

5. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    thanks they arrive this morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by