1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heating lamps for new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Golden Egg5, Jan 25, 2017.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I'm getting some chicks soon, and I was wondering if one heating lamp would be enough or should I have 2? I am getting 12 chicks and their brooder is 6ft by 2ft

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If you are going with heat lamp use the 125w or 150w. That's what I use for 5x2 brooder, one heat lamp at one end of brooder. 250w is simply too much for that kind of space unless you have it really high in the air and that's simply wasting electricity.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

One will definitely do it. You'll want to have your lamp at one end of the brooder and leave one end cool, so they can move out of the heat and the light when they feel the need. If you use two, you run the risk of keeping them too hot, which will result in pasty butt and will give the chicks no relief from that "sun" glaring down at them.

5. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Thank you!! I was getting worried that they might be too cold. I live in the Appalachian mountains so it can get pretty cold

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Before you spend any money on a heat lamp, read the second article in my signature. Many of us have ditched the heat lamp in favor of a heating pad brooder. It results in chicks that feather faster, acclimate to outdoor temps faster, they are more socially developed (IMO), and I even think they develop their motor skills faster.

7. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I would really like to use a heating pad "cave". It looks very cool! The only problem is I am running low on excess money and from what I've seen, the heating pads are pretty expensive.

8. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    If you don't already own the heat lamp do check into the heating pad. Depending where you shop the heating pad may be less expensive than the heat lamp plus bulbs or just a few dollars more. Make sure the heating pad does not turn off after 2 hours. Plus, the heating pad may be used for people aches and pains later.

9. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Okay! I will look in to it. Thank you!

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    In case you're under the impression heat lamps are benign things, they can burn chickens, set anything on fire that comes into contact with the hot bulb, and are capable of creating an oven out of the plastic totes many folks use as brooders.

I went in search yesterday for a safety cage to fit over the heat lamp I hang in my run on single digit days for my geriatric hens to warm themselves under. Chickens can get rambunctious and jostle the lamp, and it caused the lamp to drop from the position where I had secured it. The result was two elderly hens now sport bald heads where they managed to burn all the feathers off their heads. Luckily I was there when it happened and smelled the burning feathers and I got the thing secured again at a height where heads couldn't contact the bulb.

Already this winter, I've read two heart breaking threads on BYC where heat lamps burned down coops and killed and maimed the flock inside. For a few dollars more than what you would spend on a heat lamp, not even taking into consideration all the electricity you will save by using a heating pad since heat lamps draw lots of amps, you can have peace of mind knowing a heating pad cave isn't going to result in tragedy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by