Heating my coop

TaniaK

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2018
I live in North east Ohio and our coop is draft free but not insulated. The girls have roosts up high and I practice deep litter. Do we need to heat the coop? I’ve only had Dick’s before. They are so different...

I live in North east Ohio and our coop is draft free but not insulated. The girls have roosts up high and I practice deep litter. Do we need to heat the coop? I’ve only had Dick’s before. They are so different...
How large is your coop?
Does it have an earthen floor?
Is the DLM actively composting?
How much ventilation do you have?
Can you post pictures of your coop, inside and out?
How many birds are in the coop?
In your climate, you should not need supplemental heat with adequate ventilation in a dry coop that is not overpopulated.

Our coop is 8x8x8. It has soffit vents, screen door, 2 windows and a sliding door that goes out to a dry floor (wood) run with hay on it. In the coop I have about 8 inches of flakes. Very clean. We have 4 silver laced wyandott and 2 Brahma. They have 4 nest boxes, 2 large and 2 avg sized and 4 roosts that they all hunker on at night.

Our coop is 8x8x8. It has soffit vents, screen door, 2 windows and a sliding door that goes out to a dry floor (wood) run with hay on it. In the coop I have about 8 inches of flakes. Very clean. We have 4 silver laced wyandott and 2 Brahma. They have 4 nest boxes, 2 large and 2 avg sized and 4 roosts that they all hunker on at night.
Sounds pretty good, space and ventilation wise!
Nope, you don't need heat....except maybe for the waterer.
8" of flakes is not a composting deep litter.
Would love to see your coop and run, inside and out curious about the wooden floored run.

Back
Top Bottom