Heating Nipple Waterer

jaymejojos

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2015
Kansas
Have any of you using aquarium heaters had problems with bacteria growth?

We've had some hens with watery poops and I'm looking to find out why. The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of the aquarium water heater to their nipple bucket waterers.

Thanks!

YOU WILL GET BACTERIA GROWTH IN ANYTHING REGARDLESS.. The key to watch for is to keep the bad kind from setting up shop.
My suggestion is to clean up your container and heater in some solution of of Bleach. I am talking of a mild solution equivalent to what you do laundry in. Your container and heater will get a new start, (clean) , and with fresh water your concerns should be solved. I personally just change the water in the drinking containers daily, and just rinse out with clean water. Sometimes there are chicken gumdrops in the water. By changing often and just rinsing with water , I have had NO issues yet. 18+ years.
Obviously the bucket waterer holds same water for extended time. Whenever you refill it , try to rinse it out. No need to do the bleach route all that often.
Let us know how it works for you.
thumbsup.gif

Plan on emptying and cleaning both of our waterers this weekend. So I'll clean both out with a mild bleach solution and rinse well. Fortunately our waterers have lids which keep out most dirt etc. Has anyone had any luck with putting Apple Cider vinegar in the water. Does that help reduce the bad bacteria?

Last edited:
Plan on emptying and cleaning both of our waterers this weekend. So I'll clean both out with a mild bleach solution and rinse well. Fortunately our waterers have lids which keep out most dirt etc. Has anyone had any luck with putting Apple Cider vinegar in the water. Does that help reduce the bad bacteria?
Yes, I put a dollop of ACV in mine fairly regularly. Mine only holds a gallon. That seems to really help if the chickens get a bit of diarrhea (sometimes I forget).
I don't have to use my bird bath heater all of the time in our winters, but I do notice a bit more 'stuff' growing when I do.
About once a month I pour the water out and fill it with straight white vinegar*. Let it sit for a bit, then empty and rinse out.

*I use the 'cleaning vinegar' which is a bit stronger @ 6%.

You could switch to a lower heat as well, like a stock tank heater which is designed to keep water from freezing rather than to heat water, keeping the water at a lower temperature could slow the growth of any nastiness.

You could switch to a lower heat as well, like a stock tank heater which is designed to keep water from freezing rather than to heat water, keeping the water at a lower temperature could slow the growth of any nastiness.
Yes, I have a bird bath heater which works like that. I did get a little mold, but that might be because the waterer just needed cleaning, and I had slacked off on using the ACV, which I believe does help

I've got to add some acv to my setup I use a barrel with horizontal nipples and a 500 watt stock tank heater this is my first winter on it its working good so far hopefully they will go through it fast enough that it won't get to nasty but I figure it's pretty hard to get clean water in a barrel nastier than the fountain waterer they constantly roost on and crap in

Back
Top Bottom