Heating pad vs plate vs lamp

Billylynn

Songster
May 3, 2018
Northwest Pennsylvania
I have now tried all 3 methods and here are my results.
Heat lamp. I had difficulty getting the right height to get the correct temp and as the outside temp varied it was challenging to keep compensating with the lamp. I live in the North and temps in April and May can vary widely. I also was unable to figure out a system to safely adjust the height of the lamp by just a few inches at a time. Overall it was a nerve wracking experience. And the connections on the lamp corroded within two years.
Plate. This was much easier. Had to keep cleaning poop off the top and it is difficult to adjust the height. Both of those problems have been corrected with newer models. The money was definitely worth the peace of mind.
Heating pad. Used the Sunbeam x large which is sewn onto wire panel. Hands down the winner. I put the plate and the heating pad both in the broader. Put chicks under each so they could find them. By morning they were all under the heating pad. I think they liked the heating pad better because they could surround themselves with heat since the pad curves down to the floor. I always see them grouped around the edges of the pad. In my temp tests the temp underneath was in the low 80's but I figured their own body heat probably raises the temperature enough as I have had no losses and the barn temperature has been in the mid 40's. I have kept the pad on the highest setting and will experiment with dropping it down as outside temps rise and chicks age, etc. In temp trials dropping the heat level dropped the interior temp by about 10 degrees. I have never been able to control the temperature ad accurately as is suggested with any method by 5 degrees at a time. The Cornish Cross that I have raised don't seem to be highly sensitive once they get going. The added bonus of the heating pad is that the chicks hop up and down the outside of the pad like crazy since day 2. I was sure they would get stuck in the wire, but the Cornish X even flap their wings as they hop. Who knew?
Food and water are out in the cold. They have no problems going out and depending n the temperature stay out for more or less time.
I prefer the plate or heating pad because I raise my meat birds in a tractor, and then from the beginning they are being acclimated to varying temperatures... Just like nature. After 3 years I have had no losses due to temperature problems. (Only loss was when a grandchild stepped on one...Lord give me strength.)
Final note: I raise 15-17 chicks in a horse trough for my broader and use one Sunbeam XLg heating pad, or one plate, or one heat lamp which illuminated half of the area.

IMG_20210327_082236.jpg

Great info, thanks for sharing!

I tried a heat plate for the first time this year, Producers Pride from TSC, and I like it a lot better than the heat lamp. The chicks seem much calmer under a plate and I am a lot less worried about starting a fire.

This is great!
I personally do not like using heat lamps because they are so hard to use and are way to hot for the chicks. I have now switched to a heat plate, and it works way better. I agree with the droppings on the top, still trying to find out how to discourage them. Maybe you could add some little roosts in there?

We saw some heat plates online with a cover so that the chicks can't get on it. They were out of stock when we needed to place our order, so we have the TSC plate. We are going to try to make a cover for it with cardboard. If they still get on the cover we can just compost the whole thing and put on a new one!

We have nothing to compare it to, but our chicks appear healthy. They spend a lot of time running around the brooder, especially when the air temp is higher. Although, it's usually about 60 for a high temp here, and according to our 4H instructions at 3 weeks we should keep the brooder at 80 or 85 (can't remember because I don't need to!) They are in an unheated outbuilding.

We do have a light on a timer so they get a day and night. We have a nightlight for "when the sun goes down".

I have only used heating pad. Never lost a chick or had issues. I put the back a little lower than the front so they can adjust comfort as needed. So much cheaper I made a 12x24 brooder plate for less than 20 dollars. I would have never raised my own chicks if I didn’t find the mama heating pad thread because both me and my husband are against heat lamps because we have experienced 2 different friends lose their entire barns and barely escaped the fire spreading to their homes.
Here is mine, I usually have a puppy pad on top to help with clean up when they start playing up there but I ran out of the right size so I need to get more today.

Attachments

• 2B92FCEB-625A-45CD-81D5-965DAAC4BFFA.jpeg
    2B92FCEB-625A-45CD-81D5-965DAAC4BFFA.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 4F4898C1-FD92-4FCE-B177-0DBB87E74900.jpeg
    4F4898C1-FD92-4FCE-B177-0DBB87E74900.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 115
I used a lamp last year. This year I will be using the Producer's Pride plate I bought at TSC for $40.

While the lamp worked well, it made me nervous, just because it gets so hot. We rigged it up on my husband's heavy duty camera tripod, so we could adjust the height very easily.

I'm looking forward to using the plate, but I won't get to until June, when I get my chicks.

I can't seem to determine if the heating pad option is a specific type of heating pad or can you just use a household type heating pad and cover it with a towel or other such item? Thanks

I can't seem to determine if the heating pad option is a specific type of heating pad or can you just use a household type heating pad and cover it with a towel or other such item? Thanks

Just a plain old human heating pad. It must NOT have an auto shut off, or have an option to turn it to no auto shut off, as you will need it running continuously for a few weeks.

I don't like how they would poo all over the fabric. I use heating blankets for myself and I've taken them apart, interestingly all they are is a blanket with a heating cable sewn into it.

I have used adjustable reptile heating mats , they can overheat so not quite as plug and play as a heat pad but they are waterproof and can be wiped clean very easily afterwards.

As long as whatever is used can't overheat over time, isn't too drafty to lose too much heat and doesn't stay too cold then anything can be used.

The heat lamp just loses far too much heat and is a fire hazards because you need something very strong because of all the heat it loses (dries the air too much too)

The best is having a reptile heating mat on a thermostat controller in my optinion and is still cheaper than a heat plate!

Back
Top Bottom