Heating plate/brooder temp in summer

carrierebecca1

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Hi,
This is our first experience using a heating plate in our brooder; we have previously used the old school heat lamp. My question is this - as you can't measure the ambient temp in the brooder, how do you know if the height is right on the heating plate? Should I try to put a thermometer under the plate?
We have 4 chicks who are 9 days old. We received them when they were a day old. My chicks went under the plate the first couple days and seemed to like it, but I haven't seen them under it since. It's been around 95 with a heat index of 100 and our garage is fairly toasty.
The chicks are quiet (no distress chirps), are eating and drinking well and are active and seemingly healthy.
But I did come home to a dead chick two nights ago. There were no signs of injury, pasty butt, etc., and I know that can happen, but I guess I'm just being a worried mamma hen at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

I remove any heat source by day 7 with temperatures considerably lower than those you mention. I still leave the plate in the brooder, but it’s not connected to the power.

The height is right if the chicks can press themselves against it without much effort. Since you said they were using it the first few days, and it's 95+ degrees now, they simply don't need it and won't use it. You can leave it in there for nights if temperatures dip, but I wouldn't expect them to be using it at this point as long as days remain hot.

The height is right if the chicks can press themselves against it without much effort. Since you said they were using it the first few days, and it's 95+ degrees now, they simply don't need it and won't use it. You can leave it in there for nights if temperatures dip, but I wouldn't expect them to be using it at this point as long as days remain hot.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom