1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heatlamp and Temperture questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MrsHeeg, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MrsHeeg

MrsHeeg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Aurora, NE
    I just got my chicks on Thursday and we are keeping them in a brooder my husband built into the enclosed porch area (we have a cat and dog in the house who would like very much to get to them, so we keep them out there). Today it is about 88 degrees outside, and the thermometer under the heatlamp was reading 110 this morning so I moved the lamp up. The chicks are staying as far away from the heatlamp as possible. On the side they are staying on, it is about 95. Just the temp out in the enclosed porch gets so hot when it's sunny outside, I'm wondering if at times like that, do I need to have the heatlamp on at all? Is it okay to turn my heatlamp off? Any help would be so appreciated, I don't want to fry the poor things! Thanks!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They probably don't need the heat during the day.
    Keep monitoring the temps, though.
    And provide a little "snuggle" area; I usually use a box.
    If they're chilled, they will be huddled together and then you can turn on the heat.
    Chicks actually need less heat than we think.

3. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    It depends on how old... At 1 week old around 85, 2 weeks 80, 3 weeks 75 Etc....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by