Heatless brooder box

Atsjr88

Hatching
Mar 15, 2024
So I'm just curious to know how many people have had success with cold brooding I'm basically not introducing heat at all.... The batch that I have gotten this year so far both in my duck brooder and my chick brooder I have introduced no heat since I brought them home from Tractor Supply. And personally I feel like they are feathering out quicker I have 3 week old Rhode Island reds that they're only missing a couple feathers on top of their head at this point

The success or failure of this is dependent on ambient temperatures. If I tried this in my NY springs, the chicks would succumb to hypothermia. And it can cause unnecessary stress. If you don't supply supplemental heat, they should have a broody hen to get under when they need to warm up.

If i tried this in a normal Wisconsin spring all my chicks wouldnt make it.

Our house barely stays at 70 in the winter and spring.

I agree with Dobielover about the broody and the stress it puts on the chicks.

So I'm just curious to know how many people have had success with cold brooding I'm basically not introducing heat at all.... The batch that I have gotten this year so far both in my duck brooder and my chick brooder I have introduced no heat since I brought them home from Tractor Supply. And personally I feel like they are feathering out quicker I have 3 week old Rhode Island reds that they're only missing a couple feathers on top of their head at this point

Where in this world are you located? Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor on whether this would work.. Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile. It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
Screenshot_20231002-165604_Chrome.jpg

I've done this with ducks before. I gave them supplemental heat for about 5 days. I didn't take the heat away all at once but over a couple of days don't know if that was necessary or not. But they did fine after that never showed any signs of stress and they all made it. But ducks are different then chickens so 🤷 actually this year I bought my ducklings from tractor Supply and decided to give the the heating plate becauseit was so much earlier in the yearthat i got them. And they didn't use it past day 2 or 3 they would just lay beside each other to sleep/stay warm. They never acted like they were cold even when they were outside they were fine they had the heatplate outside but they only used it like once. They live outside now in the young chick run and are perfectly fine.

Is there any particular reason your with holding a heat source. To feather out faster? Worried about fire Hazard ect.? I have never done a cold brooder but seen pics of people off grid use large soda bottles filled with hot water changed when needed but that's not exactly cold brooding. I'm just curious why you choose this? Best wishes and hope it works out.

they wanted to brood without adding heat, and they chose a week with lows at 90 degrees or higher (that obviously only works in some climates!)
Thank goodness I don't live in that climate! Ack!! Anything over 78 and I start getting cranky.
Broody hens for the win...

Back
Top Bottom