Heaving breathing duck that sleeps a lot, short neck and doesn’t lay eggs

Lucyandducks

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Hi,

my female duck Daisy has always been special, we hatched her out ourselves (the only one of 6 eggs) and she was born with a short neck (this wasn’t noticed till we bought 2 more ducklings to keep her company), I’ve always noticed that she breathes very noticeably, like she’s run a marathon. But only lately have I noticed that she’s sleeping or resting more than the other ducks (we recently got to more girls, now have 5). She has never laid an egg, and she was born in July 2020. I love her to pieces, so am quite worried that she was born poorly. She also has hid in the bushes before facing the wall, when none of the other ducks so this. Has anyone experienced anyt

(I’ve attached a few of her younger and more recent ones)
5BC8B9DA-EB7B-4863-A0B0-FD267C7B57BD.jpeg
A3961A74-63C3-4A53-AE50-564CEFDAB5A0.jpeg
3E3C7C0E-DCE4-4449-AF7C-A272C554D3F4.jpeg
0FFA75C0-B73C-4062-8951-9F8E1394170E.jpeg

I'm sorry to hear about Daisy.

I've had 2 ducks with internal laying issues, and if you feel that could be the cause I recommend taking her to the vet asap. Both my girls had a drop in energy as well, and took frequent naps. One stopped eating all but a couple bites a day of her favorite treat. I consider that a medical emergency.

Since your sweetheart seems to have a hatch defect perhaps it is normal for her to have symptoms that are strange for other ducks. I have heard of ducks who never lay. If you can I would take her to the vet for a check up because of her breathing and lack of energy.

Thankyou @fatty and friends and @KaleIAm for your replies. I will try and get her an apt at the vets, I just got used to her being different, but looking at old pictures I can see her belly never used to be this close to the floor either. And the other picture shows how she sleeps, like a dog with her head on the ground as she can’t tuck her head in her wing because of her short neck
7A0DD18C-3C4B-4515-A320-FF87F16FCF70.jpeg
40CC8581-1E9C-462D-8BFD-65A9079EC3F5.jpeg

Thankyou @fatty and friends and @KaleIAm for your replies. I will try and get her an apt at the vets, I just got used to her being different, but looking at old pictures I can see her belly never used to be this close to the floor either. And the other picture shows how she sleeps, like a dog with her head on the ground as she can’t tuck her head in her wing because of her short neck View attachment 2616528View attachment 2616532
There is some normal abdominal reproductive inflammation that isn't a cause for concern. It varies and can be a lot.

Also, the first photo looks like what my duck who lays internally looks like. She hasn't laid eggs for 2 years now. At one point she had dozens of egg follicles in various stages of development in her abdomen. She visits the vet regularly and they do abdominal ultrasounds to monitor her. We do some intense lifestyle modifications to reduce her reproductive activity - under veterinary guidance.

I took Daisy to the vets today and they believe the abdominal swelling is due to a tumour 😞. I have been given some pain relief for her, but they have told me she is unlikely to improve and her condition will worsen. I’ve got to make a decision over the weekend. Sorry to give you all bad news, but thought I better update the thread. As you can imagine, I am very upset.

I took Daisy to the vets today and they believe the abdominal swelling is due to a tumour 😞. I have been given some pain relief for her, but they have told me she is unlikely to improve and her condition will worsen. I’ve got to make a decision over the weekend. Sorry to give you all bad news, but thought I better update the thread. As you can imagine, I am very upset.
I'm very sorry.

My cayuga hen had reproductive cancer. I opted to give her pain medication and let her live until she was clearly uncomfortable. It was a hard choice but the right one for us. Whatever you choose will be the right one for you all. *hugs*

@KaleIAm I think I would like to do the same, she is still eating and drinking fine and waddling around when she’s not napping, so would prefer to give her pain relief until the time comes closer. Just moved house and starting building a big enclosure for her 😞 (and her friends)

@KaleIAm I think I would like to do the same, she is still eating and drinking fine and waddling around when she’s not napping, so would prefer to give her pain relief until the time comes closer. Just moved house and starting building a big enclosure for her 😞 (and her friends)
For us it was really obvious when the time came, but it did come quite suddenly. *hugs*

Back
Top Bottom