Heavy breathing

lollylol22

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
My 2 week old ISA brown chick is waking up and breathing heavily. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

The best place to post your question would be in the Emergencies section of the Forum, you would get better answers there. Hopefully your chick is fine.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am sorry about your chick. Sounds like she is over heating. What temp is the brooder at? You should have started out at between 90 and 95 degrees for week old babies and lowered the heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Make sure you have enough room in the brooder, at least 1/2 to 1 square foot per bird in the brooder so they are not cramped in. Keep the food and water off to one side, the heat lamp on the other side. This way there are cool spots in the brooder for them to cool off. You don't want the entire brooder at this high temp. And do not cover your brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chick, hope it is OK, you've gotten some good advice above, double check your brooder temperature and post in the Emergencies section.

Ty for the advice.
I put the temperature done a bit and now everything seems good!!! :)
Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom