Heavy Breeds.

I was considering some Saxonies next year, but having seen how big my Cayuga's (medium weight) are at just 12 weeks, I think I'll have to pass. I can't even imagine how big the heavies must be!
The APA standard for Saxonies calls for 9 lb old drakes and 8 lb old ducks. Now imagine having to hold that 8 lb duck for an hour while waiting for your name to be called for showmanship.

Here are my heavyweights, all girls
This is suzie the saxony

Ming Ming the Jumbo pekin (not that she's much bigger then the regular pekin but definelty wider)

All 3 girls together, Suzie, Ming Ming and Giggles

This question is for those who own Saxonies:

At what age did your Saxony drakes mature and start mating the hens? I want to hatch some ducklings over the winter...

Here are my heavyweights, all girls
This is suzie the saxony

Ming Ming the Jumbo pekin (not that she's much bigger then the regular pekin but definelty wider)

All 3 girls together, Suzie, Ming Ming and Giggles

The jumbo seems to have a bigger neck then the regular pekin. I wonder if that's common or just so in Ming Ming. I just love the fatties, your ducks are adorable.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Muscovies. I'm a Scovie owner myself. I'd love to own a bunch of other breeds, but my yard and budget couldn't handle it.
hmm.png

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Muscovies. I'm a Scovie owner myself. I'd love to own a bunch of other breeds, but my yard and budget couldn't handle it.
hmm.png
I used to really want to raise show quality Muscovies, but I couldn't find a breeder who sold and shipped for cheap, so I went through Holderread's and got Saxonies. I might raise scovies for meat next year, though.

hmm.png

We have Muscovies! We started with three... added two more for better male/female balance... just had a hatching of ten and waiting on next week's hatching of six.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom