Hector's World: Adventures and Mayhem at Mountain View Poultry (or Sequel to The Evolution of Atlas

Pics
I was hoping he'd come back to you, Mary. Such a bummer. My husband is dreading the day when Finn goes out the door and doesn't return, though we try to keep him inside most days or at least when it's dusky. He is so attached to that cat and vice versa.
Some definitely are special. Though I adore Bash and he's a true angel of a rooster, he will never be my Isaac or my beloved crippled Zane who remains the for-all-time rooster love of my life. Hector was just such a huge personality, so smart and so opinionated and so much my guy. He added color to our lives and taught me some things.

My big cat, Thomas O'Malley aka TomTom, still goes outside, he is huge and determined - but he was an outdoor cat when I got him and that is a hard habit to break. As you say, I try to keep him in until full light, and get him back in before dusk. It is getting colder up here now so that is not as hard to do - he does NOT like cold or wet.

Sully, Rusty's brother or half-brother (from a later litter) is sweet but he is a little dope. No way he is getting out, at least not this year, although when my BF gets back in the spring it may not be possible to keep him in. He will be older, bigger and hopefully wiser by then.

PXL_20220928_113021190.jpg

Sully

Something is wrong with Maddie. She's lethargic, doesn't struggle when I pick her up, not like herself at all. She's been off for a couple of days. She's 5 years old now and she and her mother, Jill, are the only ones of Hector's entire line, including Maddie's sister, Jane, who are still alive. Jill is too mean and persnickety to die, LOL. I always said it would be just my luck that Jill the Pill would be the last one standing, but I hope Maddie isn't going out like this, not now. Not bloated, no crop issue.

😥 So sad to hear.

I am not breeding my Arkansas Blues any more. They have been lovely, but have become inbred now that there is no other stock to cross in. I have heard that it takes 3 generations for a flock to become overly inbred and suffer for it, and I would agree with that now.

I am enamored of my little bantam Speckled Sussex, but again do not have good genetic diversity. When crossed with the ABs they produce what look like tidy little ABs that lay small to medium green eggs, very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom