Hedemora Thread

Pics
Quote:
X2! I want some so bad! Plus, I live in Arizona... So I don't think it would be best for the birds to live in this heat.

I agree with you. A hedemora in Arizona would be a tough play. But, there are some very interesting heat-tolerant breeds out there that hopefully will one day make it to the US. They would be perfect for your climate.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Danda/BRKDanda.html

Yes, the coop is insulated over a majority of the wall surface. It has an automatic chicken door that is not insulated.

Any advise on keeping the chicks alive...even Merrick Vac them...have had 10 hatch only 1 has made it. What can I do to solved this? any advise?

barnie.gif

Quote:

We haven't had high mortality with the chicks we're hatching. Hedemora are unusually vulnerable to Marek's, so they should be vaccinated like you're doing now. We vaccinate our chicks and have seen good survivability.

Not sure what's going on with your chicks. Here's one theory: If you're hatching chicks from a hen that just began laying for the first time, mortality from "pullet egg" chicks can be significantly higher. Even normal-sized hedemora eggs aren't very large, and the smaller pullet eggs seem to have a pronounced negative effect on the chicks. We found that after a few weeks of laying the eggs naturally get larger and the problems caused by the smaller pullet eggs disappear. Survivability rapidly increases to a normal level.

Not sure if this fits your fact pattern --it's very hard to diagnose mortality issues on remote-- but hopefully this information is useful.

how do you think olansk dwarfs would do in a high tunnel orchard...I live in alaska but maritime climate south central

Hi,

I have been interested in very cold tolerant rare breed. Hedemora, Swedish Flower hens, Olandsk Dwarf...How are your hedemoras doing in Colorado? I'm at 8500ft elevation and quite cold. So far my brahmas and mutts are doing well, but we really baby them. I was also wondering about runner ducks and saw you had them at Kansas. Do you think they would thrive up here in harsh Georgetown? ( I think my stepdad Kim and brother Cody have visited your Lawrence farm and I am soooo jealous!)

Thanks for any advise!
Stacy

Back
Top Bottom