Heeeeeelllppp!

Tube feeding at that age is a bit tricky and kinda scary but in my opinion necessary if not too late. Most local big chain pet stores will carry the necessary supplies needed for tube feeding baby birds, parrots mostly. You will also need some Kaytee baby bird feed that you will mix one part feed to two parts water. Adding meds to that mix is the only sure way to make sure that the bird is getting them and in the proper amount. Do a couple of quick You Tube searches on how to tube feed. It is not that complicated, the main thing to remember is to approach the beak from your right side and slide the tube down the left side.

If you are having trouble with finding a catheter for feeding try a local vet or a medical supply store. Casportpony has posted the recommended sizes here before, sorry I don't have them memorized, I just keep them in the cabinet. The Fish Zole is available at pet stores also, the Corid can be found at the farm stores, both can be added to the tube feed in a pinch.

X2, also if you are in a pinch and can't find the Kaytee baby bird formula Gerber baby food ( for humans) will work. The woman who taught me to tube feed worked the vets office and she also did wild bird rescue & rehab, she told me the Gerber would work in a pinch. I used the stage 1 chicken noodle flavor, until I could get the baby bird formula.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited:
Gerber baby food! Funny how the obvious isn't so obvious sometimes. I guess when you are distraught with worry you just don't think of things like that.

No kidding!
wink.png
And I thought I'd throw it out there because it is alot easier to get your hands on than the baby bird formula usually is. Just make sure it is the stage 1, the later stages get chunkier and will clog the feeding tube.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom