HEEELLPP!! Emergency!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dgeter, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Okay.. I noticed to night that my chicken wasnt acting like himself and that he'd formed a poop clot on his butt. So I took him inside to clean it off. When I was done, I decided to get a close look at his butt to make sure there was no infection.

It was covered in worms!! I almost puked on my little guy.. Not only is he covered but he's swollen and bloody. I rushed to the store and got a de-wormer. I just gave him his dose and I also poured a bunch over the worms in desperation. I dont know if that'll help or not [​IMG]

Is there ANYTHING else I can do??

How long does it take the de-wormer to work??

How often should I give it to him??

I'm desperate for help.. this chicken is extremely important to me!

Please let me know if there is anyway I can get these worms off, I've tried picking them off one by one but there are too many and they are too fast.

2. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    PS. He is also limping really badly now

3. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    P.S P.S i hate to ask.. but is this fatal?

4. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Sorry I am no help at all - but wanted to offer empathy to both of you, and keep this thread up to the top of the list so someone will see it who knows more! Sure hoping he ends up ok!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you sure they arnt maggots? Internal parasites (worms) cant live outside their host.

6. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I can't tell.. they're long white worms? If they are maggots, what do I do??

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any ivermectin paste horse dewormer you could put on the ones you can see? I feel helpless too..

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're going to have to soak her rear in warm water to remove them whether their maggots or roundworms. Are they about 1/2 "- 1" long and real skinny?

9. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    well when I say long, I mean longer than maggots that I've seen. But Ive only seen maggots like once. I spent a long time holding warm running water over his butt and it didnt do anything. Do I actually need to hold him IN water? Like to suffocate the the maggots/worms?

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    If they are maggots he might have had an injury of some sort to his backside and nature provided the maggots. Its ok to deworm at this point I guess, but I would still really check his back side over very well, clean it off with warm water, maybe put some vaseline on the backside to keep it clean. If you find an open wound I would put some neosporin on it and check it a couple times a day to keep in clean and treated. Not sure what to say about him being swollen. Maybe some with more experience can answer on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by