HEEELLPP!! Emergency!!

dgeter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Okay.. I noticed to night that my chicken wasnt acting like himself and that he'd formed a poop clot on his butt. So I took him inside to clean it off. When I was done, I decided to get a close look at his butt to make sure there was no infection.

It was covered in worms!! I almost puked on my little guy.. Not only is he covered but he's swollen and bloody. I rushed to the store and got a de-wormer. I just gave him his dose and I also poured a bunch over the worms in desperation. I dont know if that'll help or not
sad.png

Is there ANYTHING else I can do??

How long does it take the de-wormer to work??

How often should I give it to him??

I'm desperate for help.. this chicken is extremely important to me!

Please let me know if there is anyway I can get these worms off, I've tried picking them off one by one but there are too many and they are too fast.

Sorry I am no help at all - but wanted to offer empathy to both of you, and keep this thread up to the top of the list so someone will see it who knows more! Sure hoping he ends up ok!

well when I say long, I mean longer than maggots that I've seen. But Ive only seen maggots like once. I spent a long time holding warm running water over his butt and it didnt do anything. Do I actually need to hold him IN water? Like to suffocate the the maggots/worms?

If they are maggots he might have had an injury of some sort to his backside and nature provided the maggots. Its ok to deworm at this point I guess, but I would still really check his back side over very well, clean it off with warm water, maybe put some vaseline on the backside to keep it clean. If you find an open wound I would put some neosporin on it and check it a couple times a day to keep in clean and treated. Not sure what to say about him being swollen. Maybe some with more experience can answer on that one.

Back
Top Bottom