Height of Food and Water in Run

GaDawgChic

Songster
Mar 18, 2022
I have searched and searched BYC for the answer to this question and I just can't seem to find it so I'm going to ask for my own sanity! :lol: We have four 10 week old ISA Brown's. I have a 5 gallon bucket with the horizontal nipples for the water and I have a 5 gallon bucket feeder. They suggest the feeder be 8 inches off the ground, but is that *really* necessary? They can eat just fine without it being off the ground at all. My big question is how high does the water bucket need to be off of the ground? I have no problem hanging it, I just don't know how far off the ground it should be. I currently have it sitting on two 2x8 boards, but I feel like they can't access all of the horizontal nipples so I have another regular water container in the run with them. I am in southeast GA and it was already 98° yesterday and 93° today so they need all of the water they can get. The bucket will be more than enough if they have access to all of the nipples, I just don't know how high I should put it up off of the ground. Thanks for any advice anyone could give! :D:)

From what I've read, but not experienced yet (just hatched first chicks), The food is elevated to keep it from being soiled and to prevent wastage with "scooping". For the water, I don't think that there is a set height, but I believe the nipples should be at least head/shoulder level for the young chickens. Since they seem to always tip their head back when drinking, having the nipple at shoulder height should make it easier to drink.

I will certainly defer to someone more experienced, but they haven't responded yet!

:)

From what I've read, but not experienced yet (just hatched first chicks), The food is elevated to keep it from being soiled and to prevent wastage with "scooping". For the water, I don't think that there is a set height, but I believe the nipples should be at least head/shoulder level for the young chickens. Since they seem to always tip their head back when drinking, having the nipple at shoulder height should make it easier to drink.

I will certainly defer to someone more experienced, but they haven't responded yet!

^

I hang my feeders at the level of the average chicken's back to keep bedding from being scratched into it. Then I put a block next to it for the juveniles to stand on. The roosters have to stoop.

I set the horizontal nipple waterers at about the average beak height -- again with a block and the roosters having to squat (poor Ludwig -- he's a Black Langshan and really tall so he's almost down on his knees).

Im
Completely new to all of this as well and learning just like you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. That’s how we all learn!
I hang my feeders at the level of the average chicken's back to keep bedding from being scratched into it. Then I put a block next to it for the juveniles to stand on. The roosters have to stoop.

I set the horizontal nipple waterers at about the average beak height -- again with a block and the roosters having to squat (poor Ludwig -- he's a Black Langshan and really tall so he's almost down on his knees).
Thank you for your input! Do you know about how many inches the average height would be? Im a newbie to all of this so I’m just curious exactly what that is in a measurement I could test out and know I’m around the right height even if I have to adjust.

Im
Completely new to all of this as well and learning just like you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. That’s how we all learn!

Thank you for your input! Do you know about how many inches the average height would be? Im a newbie to all of this so I’m just curious exactly what that is in a measurement I could test out and know I’m around the right height even if I have to adjust.

No, I don't. I just look at my birds as they crowd around wondering what I'm doing and raise or lower the chain as needed.

1604358730013-png.2396886

They can eat and drink at any height they can reach. Under natural circumstances, they eat from the ground when they forage and they drink from puddles on the ground, so they don't need height. The height is for us, to minimize the mess :lol: so that stuff isn't kicked into the feeder. Try a height and watch them eat/drink - if they seem to be struggling, adjust. If they're not - you're done.

They can eat and drink at any height they can reach. Under natural circumstances, they eat from the ground when they forage and they drink from puddles on the ground, so they don't need height. The height is for us, to minimize the mess :lol: so that stuff isn't kicked into the feeder. Try a height and watch them eat/drink - if they seem to be struggling, adjust. If they're not - you're done.

And set a block next to the feeder for the shorter birds (or any that feel like using it).

And set a block next to the feeder for the shorter birds (or any that feel like using it).
^ This will "fix" any height issues if you have some birds that are taller or shorter.

For chicks, I built steps out of concrete blocks so they can reach the nipples even though they're set at adult height (my waterer sits on a bucket):

early9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom