Height under coop?

McKinneyMike

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
McKinney, TX
I am planning my new (and first) chicken coop and run. It is based upon the Wichita style coop, but I am going to make it a little bigger overall. I was curious what would you all consider to be a good height for the area directly under the coop? I was thinking 18" would be enough. but then I started thinking that some big birds are pretty tall. I am going to have a mix of Brahmas, Sussex and Wyandottes most likely. No more than 6 hens and no rooster. I want to make them as comfortable as I can.

My coop is only up on one Cinder Block basically (maybe 6" higher).
My hens dust bathe and hang out under the coop most of the time during the hot summer days. They also dash under there when threatened by a predator.

I went for 2ft from the ground to the bottom of the coop thinking I don't have to bend over so much to clean it out, it works ok but still tough on the back a couple of inches higher would have been a little better I think.

That would be tall enough for the chooks, but if you have to get under there to clean or capture an injured bird you might want to go taller.

I did 2 feet off the ground, it gives them plenty of space to hang out under there (which they do a lot) and makes it easy to clean out underneath. Also if they ever lay eggs under there I can easily see and get to them

I have about 2 feet under my coop. Bought a pre-built coop and had it raised up on blocks as I didn't want it close to the ground. It is a good height for the chickens and for raking underneath (sand in run) and for cleaning the poop tray.. . But I have to use a small step ladder to get into the coop myself when I clean and change the bedding.. Might want to plan easy access for yourself when designing.

I went with 2 feet as well, seems to be working well and the chicks love the dust.

There are 2 swing up doors on the back side for access when it needs to be raked out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom