"Hello." A bad word?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I think so too.
wink.png

Quote:
If you promise not to call me a racist, I'll tell you. But first, a little background:

This fourth-grade class was reading a story out loud, and they came across a word they didn't know: miserly. In the time-honored tradition of classrooms everywhere, the teacher had them look it up. The first definition in the dictionary, stingy, they already knew. But some bright kids got reading ahead and came across - you probably have guessed it by now - niggardly (I can't believe I said that! On a public forum, too!). The word is of Scandinavian origin, and really has nothing to do with a slang mispronunciation of the Spanish word for "black," but it caused quite a reaction. I can well imagine that there was some sniggering (oops, there I go again!) and inappropriate comments made. In an effort to control the situation, and get the education train back on track, the teacher decided to make "niggardly" the word of the week (not a really big deal - if students could use the word of the week appropriately in a sentence on their end-of-the-week spelling test, they'd get an extra point). Well, one of the students, whose ethnic origin you can probably guess, went home and told her mother what had transpired. Mom flew right off the handle, and declared that word would never be used in her house! Daughter went back to school, and told the teacher how upset her mother was. Trying to make the mother understand what she was doing, the teacher sent a note home with the student, and sent a dictionary with her too, so the mother could look the word up for herself. Next morning, the mother was in the Principal's office, demanding that the teacher be fired. In an effort to placate the mother, the Principal officially reprimanded the teacher (an action that would guarantee that the teacher would be passed over when she was next eligible for a salary increase), and ordered her to undergo a several week long course of sensitivity training, if she wanted to keep her job. The media got hold of the story, and the Principal did back off from his threat to fire the teacher. Al Sharpton happened to be in town, and he weighed in on the issue too, calling the mother and her daughter "the real victims" in the situation. Cooler heads prevailed in the end, and the whole business just sort of went away.

But "Hello" not being used by a Christian? For Heaven's sake, there's nobody more concerned about H-e-double-toothpicks than Christians!

Last edited:
Quote:
I would actually take a little offense at that. Not everyone is Christian. I'm sure he thought it was funny, but it's really just stupid.

Quote:
If you promise not to call me a racist, I'll tell you. But first, a little background:

This fourth-grade class was reading a story out loud, and they came across a word they didn't know: miserly. In the time-honored tradition of classrooms everywhere, the teacher had them look it up. The first definition in the dictionary, stingy, they already knew. But some bright kids got reading ahead and came across - you probably have guessed it by now - niggardly (I can't believe I said that! On a public forum, too!). The word is of Scandinavian origin, and really has nothing to do with a slang mispronunciation of the Spanish word for "black," but it caused quite a reaction. I can well imagine that there was some sniggering (oops, there I go again!) and inappropriate comments made. In an effort to control the situation, and get the education train back on track, the teacher decided to make "niggardly" the word of the week (not a really big deal - if students could use the word of the week appropriately in a sentence on their end-of-the-week spelling test, they'd get an extra point). Well, one of the students, whose ethnic origin you can probably guess, went home and told her mother what had transpired. Mom flew right off the handle, and declared that word would never be used in her house! Daughter went back to school, and told the teacher how upset her mother was. Trying to make the mother understand what she was doing, the teacher sent a note home with the student, and sent a dictionary with her too, so the mother could look the word up for herself. Next morning, the mother was in the Principal's office, demanding that the teacher be fired. In an effort to placate the mother, the Principal officially reprimanded the teacher (an action that would guarantee that the teacher would be passed over when she was next eligible for a salary increase), and ordered her to undergo a several week long course of sensitivity training, if she wanted to keep her job. The media got hold of the story, and the Principal did back off from his threat to fire the teacher. Al Sharpton happened to be in town, and he weighed in on the issue too, calling the mother and her daughter "the real victims" in the situation. Cooler heads prevailed in the end, and the whole business just sort of went away.

But "Hello" not being used by a Christian? For Heaven's sake, there's nobody more concerned about H-e-double-toothpicks than Christians!

Whoah. I think that it is ridiculous how schools and the whole country seems to be totally mushy and sensitive for every body except for Christians. They encourage bashing Christians.

When I posted this on here I didn't know it would be taken this way! I just thought it was funny.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Bunnylady, we did have teachers teaching us of the "racial slurs" in the English language, like the one you mentioned. It IS a word but it has been lost in time. Sniggerly was found in older books so it is not racial by any means.

Of course" Brownie" would be offensive to the black culture but it is our Girl Scouts name. Or the food "brownies". I do not know what it was such a big deal but it was a cultural shock for me when I lived down in Louisiana in deep south. Not offensive up here in the North but very much so down south.

As for the OP's comments, yep, real stupid! Hello word has been around for ages!

Back
Top Bottom