Hello all! Please donate your advice :D

LonelyPageTurne

Songster
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
indiana
Hi guys! My name is Kayla I'm 30 and a stay at home mom on a third of an acre suburban corner lot lol. I'm on a nice little pond so maybe one day backyard ducks? Anyway I'm super hoping for some of the best basic advice especially on what kind of chickens to get and where. I'm having a tractor built for me by naptown chickens (yay!) And I've changed what chickens I want about 50 billion times. I'm looking for good layers/dual purpose that are children friendly! I think barred rock and buff orps both are good so I think one more type and maaaaybe a backyard friendly rooster in the future. Anyway he's saying a RIR and I've read such mixed things. Hello and advice???

I've had a lot more luck with Black Australorps than the mixed so-called RIR birds available from hatcheries. "Easter Egger," often called Aurucana or Ameraucana by hatcheries, ar usually good as well, and you may get some blue eggs.

Theri personalities vary a lot on an individual basis, so you will certainly see varied advice and experience. A lot depends on how they are handled as chicks. If they are touched and talked to often, without chasing them or picking them up forcefully (just let them walk onto your hand or foot,) they are also more likely to be human friendly later on.

Good luck!

Thanks Judy! You must answer the same questions 10 times a day lol. I have heard good things too about the Australorp and he says he can get them. I'm getting started pullets ...hopefully less than 6 months. Or if I can find someone here who will trade for kefir grains or cloth diapers or something lol.

Anyway thanks tons.

welcome-byc.gif

Oh oops! Sorry I meant a RIR as my third hen. I'm thinking of maybe a cochin bantam for a rooster or a bantam of some sort. I assume their crows as a bit less loud lol. Or if someone has a nice guy they'd donate to live out his years with me.

I agree with above posters, most (hatchery) RIR roosters that I have owned have turned aggressive.

I am raising another RIR rooster this year. I will use him to raise sex-link pullets. From the age of 4 weeks I have worked with him by forcing him to move away from me. Every time he comes toward me if he is not looking at the food, I force him to move away again. He has learned to keep his distance.

Yesterday, for the first time he approached the feeder just like the hens...... Head down intent on nothing but the fresh feed being put in the feeder. He is 8 months old now.

Thank yoou! I read that if you just pick your rooster up and carry him around and not let him down while you do your chicken chores he will learn who is boss without seeing you as someone he can challenge? Have you ever heard that? My only experience is with free range bantams my ex husband and his family got as chicks while I lived with them. Didn't have too much issues with them but they never really loved being held either lol.

Back
Top Bottom