Hello all!

Starwise

Chirping
Mar 30, 2018
Kingston, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I've been reading this forum a while and have to say there is a lot of good information, and still got plenty to learn. We got our first flock last spring, white leghorn, golden laced wyandotte, welsummer, silver spangled hamburg and black sumatra. Sumatran is absolutely gorgeous with her green shimmering black feathers, and she knows it. Best layer so far is the leghorn, for her moderately small body, she lays jumbo sized eggs.

The coop construction is a story of it's own and is still an on-going project. My wife will testify if there is a way to make something, I will find a way to over-engineer it. I will post an article of that in the coop&run section.

Our second flock is now on their 6th week and acting up in their brooder, introducing them few hours at a time to outside and to the older hens, planning to put them into the coop in a week or so.
They are barred blymouth rock, silver laced wyandotte, light brown leghorn, easter egger, black andalusian, dark cornish, egyptian fayoumi, new hampshire red, golden cuckoo maran, exchequer leghorn, austra white, sicilian buttercup and blue orpington. Austra and the sicilian are incredibly friendly, they jump to the edge of the brooder or climb right to your hand and want to be held.

Not my idea to have so many breeds but it is fun to see how different they all are. And the color variations make each of them stand out. I grew up on a farm so not a first timer with animals, but I admit there was a lot of re-learning with the chicks. We live in a rural part of the peninsula, west side of the Puget Sound. Along with the chickens, we have two German Shepherds and two miniature Pinchers.

Easter-Colorful-Easter-Chick.gif

Easter Greetings Starwise, Welcome to BYC! :frow

G'Day from down under Starwise :frowWelcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Back
Top Bottom