Hello all.

Amyannlease

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
Polk mo
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I'm definitely not new to chickens. I've been raising them since 97. When we first started I was in 7th grade and I had been living in cities for my entire life up to that point. We first moved to the country in 96 and we bought a 13 acre farm. My mom Went crazy with chickens and since my father was a truck driver we could afford it. At the peak of owning chickens we had a little over 300 free range chickens, a huge flock of guineas and a pond full of ducks. We went poultry crazy. Our family Dr didn't help. He had bought a huge farm close by and had discovered an ostrich incubator and had asked for some eggs so his kids could watch them hatch. We took him a few 5gallon buckets full of eggs and he loaded them up. Come hatch time we got a call and he was along when we were going to pick up the chicks. He literally only wanted them to show his kids the chicks hatching . So now we were extremely close to 400 free range birds. A few years later I did poultry judging for my freshmen year in ffa (we placed 15th out of 50 at state ). After my father passed we had to sell quite a few birds. Then the few we had left was slowly eaten away by predators. By about 2005 we no longer had chickens. In 2015 my brothers ex-wife gave me some chicks and I've been back in the poultry game since then.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 13 chickens, 2 turkeys, 2 ducks, two geese.

(3) What breeds do you have? Brown hens (don't know the breed but I can tell they have had a rough life) sexlink rohd island cross breed, three silkies. 2 Peking ducks, 2 Spanish black turkeys, and two Chinese geese.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? From asking random questions on Google.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Video games, work and my cars.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have a put bull that loves to find the hidden eggs in the coop (helps keep the rotten egg smell away). She doesn't bother the birds. I also have a cat that I had found under my coop when it was just a kitten.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found it through Google from asking questions about my turkeys. I wanted to join because the community is great.

BYC Welcome 7.jpg

Hi, it's nice to have you here! Make yourself at home :)

Back
Top Bottom