Hello all

Foreveryukon

Chirping
Jan 22, 2019
Yukon
Hi all. I have been looking at this site since i got my baby chicks in May last year. Was making sure I didn't feed them anything bad and as the summer progressed, learning how to acclimate them to our winter. I live in the Yukon, Canada. But thanks to the info i got my girls are doing great. I learned not to over heat their coop and if its around -15 c i let them out in a sorta sheltered run. So far I've only had 1 egg freeze and crack but i check then 3 or 4 times a day. They get warm rolled oats for breakfast and they Love it. The other times they get scratch and some meal worms. Occasionally corn on the cob too. A favourite treat for them. Even when it was -40c and they were coop bound they still give me eggs. I have 7 pretty Rhode Island Reds and i get anywhere from 5 to 7 eggs a day. The people here love my farm fresh eggs and have been told they taste better than store bought. I love having them and worry about them when we go away for a time but i do have a great house sitter that looks after them pretty well. If it had not been for sites like this on... Mainly this one, i might not have had such luck with raising my girls. On a side note, i got a 80 g egg from one of them yesterday. I have had a few LARGE ones, even a 3 yoker but think this is just about the largest. We r thinking, poor girl... Anyways thanks for letting me join and chat about me girls.

Welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
91C10A29-4330-461C-B3C9-49223AD46ABC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom