Hello All!!

marlo1968

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Lorenzo, TX
I have just started keeping chickens and am enjoying it so far. I have 10 pearl white leghorns and 5 red stars that are laying, and I have 5 arucana chicks that should start laying in July or August. I live in western Colorado and love living in the mountains. I am worried about "winterizing" the chickens and making sure the hen house is warm enough yet not so air tight that they get sick from that. We made the hen house out of mostly recycled materials, reused wood and such. SO it is not the prettiest thing around, but it is functional. It is 4' x 8' x 5' high with 8 nesting boxes and 2 8' long roost bars. The attached run is 8' x 16' and is fully enclosed. I always welcome learning new things and find it helpful for people to kindly let me know what works for them and what doesn't. My parents had chickens when I was a teenager for several years, but at the time I tried hard not to like it. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hi, :welcome
I think it's great that you made your coop from recycled materials. Our coop isn't exactly the prettiest thing in town either, it's got planks of wood banged into the walls and door where it's coming apart. :p
Anyway, I hope you find everything you need on the site! :frow

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

Ventilation is very important in the winter - I leave a window on the lee side of my coop open all year (although not as wide in the winter)

Back
Top Bottom