Hello and I got my first egg today!

Thank you so much everyone for the welcome and the advice. I got my second egg today. This one was smaller, darker, and kind of rubbery. Here's a comparison with the organic large egg in my fridge.
And my girls.
[/IMG]. They are Henrietta, Odette, and Chanel No. 5 (Wilhelmina).

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joinin the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Alright first egg how eggciting for you hope you never loose the thrill of finding them ....
wee.gif

First egg's are something as the pullets are just reving up the gears for the first time and things come out funny .......
clap.gif

This pullet started producing egg's at 13 weeks documented as
I put her in a 3 Foot X 3 Foot X 3 Foot cage to keep an eye on her
and keep track of her 3 egg's for her first week of laying and by
week 20 she went broody and by week 23 started hatching egg's
over the next week and ended with 23 chicks at 24 weeks of age
what a Lady she is and the chicks are now 2 weeks old and she
still has 23 chicks at noon's count today .....
smile.png

If you let the feed soak over night at a minimum you will see a lower cost in your feed bill and your chickens will absorb the vitamins and minerals better also is you have funny egg's boil them up and feed it back to them as egg's are great for chickens also layer feed you can crush the oyster shells up and put it in with the feed ..

gander007
old.gif

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joinin the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Alright first egg how eggciting for you hope you never loose the thrill of finding them ....
wee.gif

First egg's are something as the pullets are just reving up the gears for the first time and things come out funny .......
clap.gif

This pullet started producing egg's at 13 weeks documented as
I put her in a 3 Foot X 3 Foot X 3 Foot cage to keep an eye on her
and keep track of her 3 egg's for her first week of laying and by
week 20 she went broody and by week 23 started hatching egg's
over the next week and ended with 23 chicks at 24 weeks of age
what a Lady she is and the chicks are now 2 weeks old and she
still has 23 chicks at noon's count today .....
smile.png

If you let the feed soak over night at a minimum you will see a lower cost in your feed bill and your chickens will absorb the vitamins and minerals better also is you have funny egg's boil them up and feed it back to them as egg's are great for chickens also layer feed you can crush the oyster shells up and put it in with the feed ..

gander007
old.gif

want to try this feed soaking method...will it work with any type of feed?

Quote:

Well I use it on chick starter as It really saves me a lot of chicks in the warmer time of year the feed 3 way, lay feeds, and corn, flock raiser, so yes I use it on all my dry feed supply's and BYC has a big article in the Learning Center about it that I ran across some time ago ....

If you want to try it get a 5 galleon bucket and put your feed in the bucket and add some water then mix several times a day and after three days you can serve some people only do a day or so but one important thing always keep a layer of water over the top ..............

Well I use it on chick starter as It really saves me a lot of chicks in the warmer time of year the feed 3 way, lay feeds, and corn, flock raiser, so yes I use it on all my dry feed supply's and BYC has a big article in the Learning Center about it that I ran across some time ago ....

If you want to try it get a 5 galleon bucket and put your feed in the bucket and add some water then mix several times a day and after three days you can serve some people only do a day or so but one important thing always keep a layer of water over the top ..............

Do you just put it in a special or regular feeder after its been soaking?

Quote:

These chicks are only 10 weeks old .....

I purchased several of these bigger pans from the seconded hand store and place them around the yard and in the coops for the one's who are not free rangers and everyone knows where they eat except the geese they like to take from everyone else so they get feed first to keep down the disturbances and the pans are big enough to feed more then one at a time and the waste is cut to a minimum so a big savings and the wind tends not to blow it away so easily ......

These chicks are only 10 weeks old ..... I purchased several of these bigger pans from the seconded hand store and place them around the yard and in the coops for the one's who are not free rangers and everyone knows where they eat except the geese they like to take from everyone else so they get feed first to keep down the disturbances and the pans are big enough to feed more then one at a time and the waste is cut to a minimum so a big savings and the wind tends not to blow it away so easily ......
They look like cast iron which I love!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.
Congrats on the egg!

Back
Top Bottom