Hello and I got my first egg today!

jencp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Upstate New York
Hi. I have been lurking for a while and reading and learning a lot. I have three red sex-link hens who are 14 1/2 weeks old. They are sweet girls and today they laid their first egg. I am guessing it was Odette because she started the submissive squat first. (I thought there was something terribly wrong!) it was very small, and had two little punctures like someone stepped on it, in one of the nest boxes. There also was a weird egg(?) on the ground. The "yolk" was rubbery and elongated and surrounded by a thick membrane. But there was no shell. It did have albumen and a second membrane around everything, and both were ripped. Is this just because they're so young? I had still been feeding the grower crumble because I didn't think I needed to switch to layer yet. I added oyster shells today in a separate dish. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks.

My hens first few eggs were so thin shelled they were broken going down the vent! They are laying healthy eggs now! They were 16 weeks when I got them.
:love

I'm surprised they laid that early but it is a different breed I don't know much about. The egg thing is ok because it there first eggs, and one hen probably step on the egg, and that's what made a hole in the egg And there eggs start out small. That all I can tell you I'm sure other people can tell you a lot more.

Welcome to BYC! This is the place to be when you have chickens. Red Sex Links are egg laying machines. Whether or not calcium (such as in crushed oyster) shell should be given before 18 weeks of age is a debated topic (I have seen it hotly debated right here on this website). There are a couple of articles on this subject you might want to take a look at (http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html, http://www.wikihow.com/Feed-Chickens). You can also post this question on Feeding and Watering Your Flock under Raising BackYard Chickens. It's highly unlikely that you'll get a consensus, but you can at least weigh the differing responses against each other and make an educated decision. I'm just hoping that the two punctures on the other eggs were not done by a pecking chicken and are the beginning of an egg eating problem. Good luck with your flock.

I'm surprised they laid that early but it is a different breed I don't know much about. The egg thing is ok because it there first eggs, and one hen probably step on the egg, and that's what made a hole in the egg And there eggs start out small. That all I can tell you I'm sure other people can tell you a lot more.

Chickenperson13...what kind of a chicken is that in your Avatar? Gorgeous!:love

I too, was thinking the hen may be attempting to eat the egg - a really bad habit that is quickly taken up by the other hens.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Boy, your girls are starting young. X3, pullets often lay odd eggs while they are getting their systems in gear, soft shelled eggs are common, with your girls their shell glands are probably still immature... the oyster shell in a separate dish should be fine, people with mixed flocks usually never feed layer.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Yes, young pullets new to laying can have issues with shell quality, putting on the shell and of course size of the egg. Give them time to get their egg machines in gear and the eggs will bigger and better over time.

Make sure they are on layer feed with oystershell on the side. If you have a mixed flock of different ages and roosters, use a Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X5, pullets often lay off shaped or off color eggs when they are first starting out. It's even common for them to lay double yolked eggs, eggs with no yolk or no shell and small eggs. But, within a month their eggs should be regular and well formed and colored. If the mishaps still continue to happen then something might be wrong. Give then lots of calcium; eggshells or oyster shells. They need lots of calcium now that they are laying.

Welcome to BYC - it takes a while for a hen to work out the kinks in the egg production line. Put them on a laying ration as soon as is possible.

Back
Top Bottom