Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I have a question~we have recently purchased a black OEGB rooster to add some new blood to our already existing OEGB hens. The little birds we have been hatching are really friendly and nice--never flog or attack. This little rooster we just purchased(and cost a pretty penny) comes at me almost every time I put my hand in the pen to feed or water. Will he get over this? Is it because he does not know me yet? Our little birds have always been so nice and calm. We have these little guys for my daughter and I can not let her get in the pen and even touch the hens at this time I have with him.
hide.gif
Just wondering if there is some way to calm him down or if he will once he gets settled in? He is beautiful and is a very nice show quality bird which is what we wanted for the hens we have and for my daughter to hopefully be able to show in the future.

61794_cimg1215.jpg

I would appreciate some thoughts on this. If we use him for breeding, which is what we are trying to do now, will his off-spring be aggressive? We have several years before my daughter will be trying to show these birds.
idunno.gif

Quote:
It will be easy to colm him, keep him by himself and away from the pullets / hens. Any OE cock or cockrell will defend thier hens if not they do not belong in teh breeder pen. If he is agressive when by himself you may want to try handling frequently. I do not know where the bird came from of the back ground, or the individual who has been selecting for what in the breed pen he came from.

Do you mind if I ask why you thought you needed new blood in your pen?

Quote:
It will be easy to colm him, keep him by himself and away from the pullets / hens. Any OE cock or cockrell will defend thier hens if not they do not belong in teh breeder pen. If he is agressive when by himself you may want to try handling frequently. I do not know where the bird came from of the back ground, or the individual who has been selecting for what in the breed pen he came from.

We wanted a new bloodline in the pen because my parents have been raising these birds for over 20 years and never introduced another line. We just want to see how it goes with new blood. It is not like we can not get more old blood. I am not happy with the roosters we are getting with the old blood.
idunno.gif

Sorry about that ~ 50 was a type-o!!!

Last edited:
Quote:

We wanted a new bloodline in the pen because my parents have been raising these birds for over 50 years and never introduced another line. We just want to see how it goes with new blood. It is not like we can not get more old blood. I am not happy with the roosters we are getting with the old blood.
idunno.gif

if you attempting to modify body type is often much easier to do so through the hen.
What male atributes are currently lacking in what you are raising and what are you trying achieve?
What is the body type of you rhens, and the body type difference of the hens of teh line you adding in?

What color is my little OEGB? At first I thought she was barred, but it is not as defined as my barred rocks coloring. Any ideas?

Back pic (barred on some feathers, but some just end in white)
78308_dscn2065.jpg

Chest pic (lighter coloring in the middle of the feathers)
78308_dscn2066.jpg

Quote:
We wanted a new bloodline in the pen because my parents have been raising these birds for over 50 years and never introduced another line. We just want to see how it goes with new blood. It is not like we can not get more old blood. I am not happy with the roosters we are getting with the old blood.
idunno.gif

if you attempting to modify body type is often much easier to do so through the hen.
What male atributes are currently lacking in what you are raising and what are you trying achieve?
What is the body type of you rhens, and the body type difference of the hens of teh line you adding in?

Sorry, I got the time frame off by 30 years above.... I was typing fast and not watching what I put. My father passed several years ago and my mother has turned the birds out and basically just let them run the yard. The roosters have developed odd little small combs that are all black on most. The hens have little or no combs. A number are now born with white wing tips and curled feet--and have feathers down the side of the leg but not on the feet. I am simply trying to keep my fathers line of beautiful bird that he once bred and see if introducing a new blood line with a new rooster will help. It seem to be the least drastic attemp at the moment. The little rooster I purchased is from some of the best birds in the state and maybe the country and I felt it could only benifit my blood line. He is aggressive but I will just have to keep my daughter away from him until he settles some. From what I am reading his aggressiveness is not the norm so I am not too worried. We will just see from results--we do handle our chicks a good deal so maybe that will make a difference in the off-spring. I really do think he is the prettiest little rooster we have!!
smile.png

im very exited to add 3 to my flock! i got a 1yr hen sitting on 8-10 eggs, a very pretty cockerel and a pullet all for free! they were only a 3 mile drive from my house! and the lady has more to give away because she cant eat eggs she found out. they might have a little sebright in them she said but not much

Back
Top Bottom