Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

coolness! Thanks for the input!
That really puts my mind at ease.
smile.png

I have been looking for blue and splash OE bantams but haven't been able to find any in my area and no one on here has answered my wanted ad for hatching eggs. I am considering ordering some this spring from a hatchery, any input on which ones would have the best birds?

You arent very likely to get good quality from a hatchery, either type or color. You might want to consider going to a bigger show in the area, and trying to pick some up there. Or you could try the old english website. Pm me for details. Very very few breeders of good quality birds sell eggs, as they are wanting to produce everythign they can, to select the few best ones for the shows. Good luck.

Quote:
I would suggest a few folks out near you in the carolinas with grown and or started birds, you will be much happier with them.
I would suggest the Salyer's they have the best ones, but in Ga alone you should be able to find several exhibitors of good blues this fall at local shows. I know there is one coming up in mid Oct.

Quote:
I would suggest a few folks out near you in the carolinas with grown and or started birds, you will be much happier with them.
I would suggest the Salyer's they have the best ones, but in Ga alone you should be able to find several exhibitors of good blues this fall at local shows. I know there is one coming up in mid Oct.

Do you have their website, if they have one? What about the shows, I can't seem to find any info online about shows in Georgia or fairs that have shows in our area, I must not be looking right or something
barnie.gif

Quote:

Do you have their website, if they have one? What about the shows, I can't seem to find any info online about shows in Georgia or fairs that have shows in our area, I must not be looking right or something
barnie.gif

here is a link for the SE region, http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Show_Schedule_Southeast.htm

Quote:

I agree on the Salyers birds, they are as nice as you could want. And good folks as well.

Quote:
Most OE bantams are not aggrasseive, the males will be a bit "froggy" when around thier hens but in general they are a wonderfull bird.
However there are the exceptions and some that have been used or breed for other purposes in the last decade, now some of those can be down right mean.

i have 4 females and 4 males in a 6'x18' is this ok?

to shorten the story i bought chicks that i thought were female at a auction and all were roos. this is what i have now 3jap(2female,1male).... 2seabright(2male)....3oegb(2female,1male) all young. im still learning

Quote:
Most OE bantams are not aggrasseive, the males will be a bit "froggy" when around thier hens but in general they are a wonderfull bird.
However there are the exceptions and some that have been used or breed for other purposes in the last decade, now some of those can be down right mean.

i have 4 females and 4 males in a 6'x18' is this ok?

to shorten the story i bought chicks that i thought were female at a auction and all were roos. this is what i have now 3jap(2female,1male).... 2seabright(2male)....3oegb(2female,1male) all young. im still learning

that is plenty of room for 8 bantams, For the Bantam you try to give each bird 3 sq ft of ground space and 3/4 ft roost pole.
The Pen you mentioned is 108 sq ft. so could support up to 36 smaller bantams.

Back
Top Bottom