Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Nice looking birds you've got there...

Thank You, Here is one of my Columbian OE Cockrells from this year... I plan to pick up some wheaton rosecombs and transfer the color to rosecomb next year.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_cockrell.jpg

YAAY, more projects
big_smile.png
. Im still debating on the blue brassy moderns...just not sure if it would be worth the effort.

Quote:
Thank You, Here is one of my Columbian OE Cockrells from this year... I plan to pick up some wheaton rosecombs and transfer the color to rosecomb next year.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_cockrell.jpg

YAAY, more projects
big_smile.png
. Im still debating on the blue brassy moderns...just not sure if it would be worth the effort.

You know so long as you stick through the project and it makes you happy, it was worth the effort.. otherwise its not..

Something about the wings on that Opal cockerel just dont look O.E. to me, Really nice Brassy Back and Columbian though

Quote:
there are way too many things about the Opal that are not OE, this is teh best yet after 8 generations, at least they are starting to look game, and not fluffy.. They will take a few more years to be OE but they are getting there.

Any OE breeders going to the show Oct. 22 in Sedalia, MO? I just started with OE this year. I got a nice start with some hatchlings. I ended up with 6 pullets and one rooster. How lucky is that? Although I think the rooster (black breasted red) is pretty nice, I don't think I should use him for breeding because I would be doing a brother-sister breeding. Consequently I am looking for a SQ cockerell in the black breasted red and the brown-red. (Gee... someone wanting to buy cockerells here!) I also have two lemon-blue pullets, but I'm just not sure I want to breed them. There is so much difference in their color, I just see little uniformity between the two pullets. Also, one of them was about HALF the size of the other for a long time! She is catching up with the other pullets, but is still smaller.

Anyone who might be able to meet me in Sedalia with what I am looking for is welcome to PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
There will be several showing there, i would not really suggest crossing lines too much with any of the OE though. A brother sister mating is not a bad thing if the birds you have are of good size, type and color they have been selected over many generations of closed line matings to breed a certain way and just crossing lines can introduce a great many problems.
You shoul dbe able to find pairs trios, or maybe just a cockrell if that is what you want to do though.

On the lemon blues the blue alone comes in many shades even from a single mated pair it is a very challenging variety very good examples are few and far between.

Quote:
There will be several showing there, i would not really suggest crossing lines too much with any of the OE though. A brother sister mating is not a bad thing if the birds you have are of good size, type and color they have been selected over many generations of closed line matings to breed a certain way and just crossing lines can introduce a great many problems.
You shoul dbe able to find pairs trios, or maybe just a cockrell if that is what you want to do though.

On the lemon blues the blue alone comes in many shades even from a single mated pair it is a very challenging variety very good examples are few and far between.

Oh, thank you for the info. I DO think my BBReds and brown reds are very nice. The blues (as in most breeds) just confuse me. So you think a brother sister mating of the BBred would be okay? I would still need a brown-red cockerell as I do not have one.

Quote:

Oh, thank you for the info. I DO think my BBReds and brown reds are very nice. The blues (as in most breeds) just confuse me. So you think a brother sister mating of the BBred would be okay? I would still need a brown-red cockerell as I do not have one.

The Brother sister matings are not an issue and will not cause problems for many many years, just rotate your breeder birds less frequently. I like to keep good proven males as long as 7 years and hens to 3 years, rotate 1/2 your hens every other year and your males every 3-5 years and you will be fine for 40 years..
You should be able to find a brown red without major problems but you may have to buy a pair. the variety has really been making a comeback in teh last 5 years.

Quote:

The Brother sister matings are not an issue and will not cause problems for many many years, just rotate your breeder birds less frequently. I like to keep good proven males as long as 7 years and hens to 3 years, rotate 1/2 your hens every other year and your males every 3-5 years and you will be fine for 40 years..
You should be able to find a brown red without major problems but you may have to buy a pair. the variety has really been making a comeback in teh last 5 years.

Sure. I would be willing to buy a pair, if that was necessary. Seems most people tend to have more cockerells they want to get rid of. Perhaps that is not so much the case with OE. I know right now in several of my breeds I still have WAY too many cockerells and pullets have been sold for the most part, but then, most of these have not been sold as "show quality."

Quote:
the ones I have had start about 8 months old, lay about 8 eggs and go broody, they make one mean broody, you just don't mess with their eggs or even think about touching their chicks.. I have seen them getting up to the tops of trees to chase down a bird...

So late? The cockerels started crowing at 5 weeks. I was hoping the Pullets would start laying early, too. When I had OEGBs before, I purchased started birds, never chicks, so didn't know how they develop. Sure do like them, though.

Back
Top Bottom