Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Excellent. And, how do you get the NPIP#?
Oh, I may be moving to OK next year, BTW. I lived there for 12 years, only moved to AZ because I was going through a divorce. I was four years in Hominy while going to school in Tulsa and 8 years near Medicine Park. I was stationed at Ft. Sill and then stayed there after retiring from the Army. I really miss OK and can't wait to leave AZ. My new hubby is finishing his doctorate and I've convinced him to move to OK and try the country/farming lifestyle. He's a total city boy and has lived in Phoenix almost his entire life.

I am not sure how it works in AZ. I would think they still have county ag extension offices though..

I have the state test my birds and inspect facilities, then pay $5 for teh flock cert. Others use private testers and you pay by the bird..

Look me up when you get back to OK.. I grew up here, went to basic at Sill, AIT in Ft Gordon, then to germany, Ft Bliss, then Panama. and back stateside. I seperated back in 94 and traveled everywhere for about 10 years then finally landed back home to stay..

What part of OK. ar eyou thinking? If you make it by June you could join us for a gathering here called POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap) Its a great event where we all get together from all over the state have a good pot luck meal, with grilled everything, drawings, games for the kids and openly discuss and trade birds, we put up different booths to demostrate techniques for care, show prep, dubbing, processing extra birds etc. everything a person needs to know..

Will look you up when we get there, will probably be next fall. We're looking at the area around Stillwater, if OSU has any openings for a professor, otherwise, we'll look at OU. But, Stillwater would be first choice, although not in town. Preferably towards Pawhuska.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. What are they testing for?

For the last eight months, I've been afraid to put my two OEGB roosters in the same open area as each other, as I have always assumed they would beat the tar out of each other. On a whim, I thought I'd give it a shot. Rooster A has been with 2 OEGB hens for the last 4 months, and Rooster B was alone until September, when we let him take over the big ole layer flock. And he loves the big hens!!
love.gif

I was very surprised that after only a few pecks and chases, they found peace. Rooster A stays with his hens, Rooster B stays with his hens. They all forage together without any problems. Nobody fights.
idunno.gif

Are any of you able to let multiple roosters out at the same time and still have harmony? or do I have an anomaly here.

Quote:
The boxes really look great. I guess it won't be cost effective to have them shipped to me but I do really like the design.

If I buy a box can you pack the farrier. He is adorable too.

Really excited to have come across this thread. My son has just gotten to a stage to think about showing his little OEGBs. If we put pictures up could someone tell us if we are going in the right direction? I know that OEGBs around here have very serious competitors at shows. I would hate for him to get really involved with this group if he has no chance in the junior shows.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am not sure how it works in AZ. I would think they still have county ag extension offices though..

I have the state test my birds and inspect facilities, then pay $5 for teh flock cert. Others use private testers and you pay by the bird..

Look me up when you get back to OK.. I grew up here, went to basic at Sill, AIT in Ft Gordon, then to germany, Ft Bliss, then Panama. and back stateside. I seperated back in 94 and traveled everywhere for about 10 years then finally landed back home to stay..

What part of OK. ar eyou thinking? If you make it by June you could join us for a gathering here called POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap) Its a great event where we all get together from all over the state have a good pot luck meal, with grilled everything, drawings, games for the kids and openly discuss and trade birds, we put up different booths to demostrate techniques for care, show prep, dubbing, processing extra birds etc. everything a person needs to know..

Will look you up when we get there, will probably be next fall. We're looking at the area around Stillwater, if OSU has any openings for a professor, otherwise, we'll look at OU. But, Stillwater would be first choice, although not in town. Preferably towards Pawhuska.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. What are they testing for?

Please do get with me.. its always nice to meet up with other folks in teh hobby. I am 20 minutes east of OU and 1 hr south of OSU.

Quote:
I grow my cockrells out in pens with 10-15 per pen, during times when fertility is real low I will place two roosters in a breed pen and provide a little competition, they always step up and get the job done. I have no issues with teh birds fighting and always get everything figured out within 1 hr and no major injuries.

Quote:
The boxes really look great. I guess it won't be cost effective to have them shipped to me but I do really like the design.

If I buy a box can you pack the farrier. He is adorable too.

Really excited to have come across this thread. My son has just gotten to a stage to think about showing his little OEGBs. If we put pictures up could someone tell us if we are going in the right direction? I know that OEGBs around here have very serious competitors at shows. I would hate for him to get really involved with this group if he has no chance in the junior shows.

Post several pics of each bird, front, each side, back, and top down. If possible provide a common item as a size reference. such as a soda can, can of vegetables etc.

As for Show transport boxes, I do not know where you are located but most often around here you can buy a 4 hole bantam transport box at a show for no more than $40. and sometimes even less. You will also be happier with the door on top as the birds are less likely to run out. the boxes shown above are nice boxes but are styled after the old cocker transport box for transporting large game cocks to events.

Quote:
Anytime, anything I can do help just ask..

Are you going to make Shawnee? Would be good to meet you..

I've thought about it. But I'm going to Fayetteville this weekend. If I did, it would be just to watch and learn. We don't have the best birds by any means. Right now we are just learning the correct way to handle, clean and general care of the birds. Its a lot to take in. Thanks Gena

gena,
if you can make it will be a great experience. many of us get together every year there and go to lunch at a local restraunt spend teh day visiting and just make a great day of teh event.
we will be showing the Brassy Cockrell I had intended to send you, he turned out very nice and has been preforming extremely well in teh shows so far.

Okay, these pictures do not meet the standard of picture making. These are birds pulled off the roost for some quick snapshots. We will pursue the whole top, side, etc tomorrow.

17189_oegbs_110211_017_small.jpg

17189_oegbs_110211_013_small.jpg

17189_oegbs_110211_011_small.jpg

17189_oegbs_110211_009_small.jpg

17189_oegbs_110211_003_small.jpg

17189_oegbs_110211_001_small.jpg

Quote:
For pulling straight off the roost, not too bad, I'm no photographer either.
Starting at the Top working down.
Red Pyle Cockrell, I would not count on him turning into much, he is very young but has far too much leg,

2,3 self blue Pullet. She doesn't look bad but I would like to see her standing on flat ground to see her body posture. Based on teh photo her breast width and leg length look pretty good, and her back does not appear to be too short, or overly long longer than I like but overall not bad.

4,5, Spangled, can't tell much from teh pics about the body, but the pullets appear large. the cockrell appears to have white in his earlobes. the white mottling is large for thier age, and does not appear to be seperated from teh other feather color by a clean distinct black bar. the Mottling should be even small, seperated by a black bar from the other plumage color, tail feathers should be tipped in white, and wing primaries should be black allowed to have up to 2 white primaries though.

6, appears to be either a poorly colored BB red, or a wheaton. hard to tell. if he has black in his hackle and saddle then that is a color fault as well. He is still young and will molt 1 more time before he is truly finished. if its a BB the molt will not help, if its a wheaton with stripping in teh hackle and saddle the molt will not help either. But all of that could be the pics.

Back
Top Bottom