Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

with her age she may not show as well.  you tend to get more off colored spots in older birds.  this is natural and not a bad thing, even if she doesnt show well this time around she will still make an excellent breeder.

If I can find a male. It's really hard to come across LBs. I got lucky and found her.

Last edited:
If I can find a male. It's really hard to come across LBs. I got lucky and found her.

In a pinch you could use a brown red, splash, blue, or black. I think you could use birchen too, if I recall my color genetic right with a birchen male to a lemon blue female you'll get lemon blue (or lemon black) cockerels and birchen or silver blue hens. I'd go with one of the 4 options above first though if you can't find an actual lemon blue.

In a pinch you could use a brown red, splash, blue, or black. I think you could use birchen too, if I recall my color genetic right with a birchen male to a lemon blue female you'll get lemon blue (or lemon black) cockerels and birchen or silver blue hens. I'd go with one of the 4 options above first though if you can't find an actual lemon blue.

I'll see what I can find this Saturday at a MAJOR swap 2 hours away from my house.

Quote: hey, BGMatt! havent seen you in a while.

i could be crazy, but i think in a pinch you can breed a lemon blue cockerel from a b.b. red rooster over self blue hen. its only like a 25% chance, but if its all you can find its worth a try.

lemon blue is one of those colors that will give you fits, you have to keep crossing to keep your colors going.

hey, BGMatt! havent seen you in a while.   

i could be crazy, but i think in a pinch you can breed a lemon blue cockerel from a b.b. red rooster over self blue hen. its only like a 25% chance, but if its all you can find its worth a try.

lemon blue is one of those colors that will give you fits, you have to keep crossing to keep your colors going.  

Different patterns and as we discussed a while ago in this thread self blue (lavender) is not involved in lemon blue.

Black breasted red is a duckwing pattern, lemon blue (and birchen, brown red, etc) are crow wing patterns.

Last edited:
Quote: i just looked this up, but i thought we had decided it was the dark blues. my copy of baldwin's is older so maybe its a change in breeding? "b.b. red cockerel... self blue hen, hens will be lemon blues and blue reds, cockerels will be mostly blue reds."

in improvement breeding it says brown red over pidgen blue hen from self blue mating, save all the blue and lemon blue pullets and the lemon blue cockerels from this mating.
second mating: best self blue male to brown red and lemon blue females that have to much lemon lacing.

i cut some parts out so i didnt have to type as much.

edited to add: dont take my advice on this, BGMatt has been doing this much longer. im just trying to confirm that what is referred to as self blue may be dark blue in my book.

Last edited:
Right. But in modern times what he is calling self blue is just blue. It is the Andalusian blue gene. Self Blue refers to self blue as in the variety which is based on the lavender gene. Don't want newcomers to be confused and wonder why a Self Blue doesn't give them the result they want. LOL

You would still not want to use a Black Breasted Red.

To clarify first paragraph more:

Self Blue - Do NOT use to make Lemon Blues

Blue - Use to make Lemon Blue

Last edited:
Right. But in modern times what he is calling self blue is just blue. It is the Andalusian blue gene. Self Blue refers to self blue as in the variety which is based on the lavender gene. Don't want newcomers to be confused and wonder why a Self Blue doesn't give them the result they want. LOL

You would still not want to use a Black Breasted Red.

To clarify first paragraph more:

Self Blue - Do NOT use to make Lemon Blues

Blue - Use to make Lemon Blue

When her feathers are new she looks just like the bottom picture. Just with lemon lacing around the neck.

When her feathers are new she looks just like the bottom picture. Just with lemon lacing around the neck.

Right. Just saying like above you can use any of the following colors of males to breed with her and get some Lemon Blues if you can't find an actual Lemon Blue:

You CAN use: Brown Red, Blue, Black, Splash.

You MIGHT be able to use: Birchen, Silver Blue. I think this would result in a sexlink with the pullets coming out same color as male, and the cockerels being split.

You should NOT use: Self Blue, Black Breasted Red, Blue Red, etc

Oh, how I like lurking here... learn so much! Wish I could do more with OEGB's... But I can't eat 'em and the eggs (which my kids love) - Mathematically impossible to keep that many laying hens on this property! The joys of genetics...

Back
Top Bottom