Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Enamel white in the earlobe is a problem, but many hens will develop a white or light tint to the earlobe when in production. If you are referring to white in the feather if its at the tips some varieties have this and it is not a fault but a desired trait for Spangled, Millie Fluer, Pearl, and Porcelain. If its not at the tips it is likely stress marks that can be brought on by many things including feed changes, heat, dry environment, illness, parasites, and feather picking.
Thank you. Someone else also said it can develop in old birds. Well, guessing mine are old, and all 3 hens are producing eggs... doesn't explain him though. If it can be caused by stress, well, they were rescues. Who knows what they were fed, how they were treated... I will take a much closer look tomorrow morning (they're ranging today) - It's been a while since I've sat them down and stared at them. :)
I have not seen Pearl... I think mine are Porcelain. Not that I want to start all that again. Ha!
Anyway, just feeling frustrated. Am shaking it off, and as soon as I get my incubator figured out, will try a larger batch of eggs again. Trying to decide when my cut off will be.

Spangled quail and blue spangled quail OE

Lemon chocolate

Thank you. Someone else also said it can develop in old birds. Well, guessing mine are old, and all 3 hens are producing eggs... doesn't explain him though. If it can be caused by stress, well, they were rescues. Who knows what they were fed, how they were treated... I will take a much closer look tomorrow morning (they're ranging today) - It's been a while since I've sat them down and stared at them. :)
I have not seen Pearl... I think mine are Porcelain. Not that I want to start all that again. Ha!
Anyway, just feeling frustrated. Am shaking it off, and as soon as I get my incubator figured out, will try a larger batch of eggs again. Trying to decide when my cut off will be.
Pearle and Porcelain are quite similar, a Pearl is basically a self blue with white tips to the feather, a porcelain is a self blue version Millie fleur. Both have white spots on the feathers, many oe males that develop white in the earlobe as adults are the result of scarring however if it was present when young that is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom