Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I was wondering what color this roo is considered and also I have some black tailed wheaten hens he is in the pin with and I was wondering what color he would throw with those hens

He looks kind of like my lemon blue roo but I'm not too experienced in colors. =)

Just picked up these two chicks from an assorted bin and they look like OEGBs to me. What do you guys think. And if so what coloring would the grey ones' be considered?

Chick 1

Chick 2

My aunt has a self blue rooster and bb red hens. I know the self blue is lavender gene. Does anyone know what could possibly come out crossing these colors?

My aunt has a self blue rooster and bb red hens. I know the self blue is lavender gene. Does anyone know what could possibly come out crossing these colors?

Your first generation chicks out of that cross should be solid black, perhaps with some red color leakage in the saddle, hackle, and shoulder feathers when they are adults. Those solid black chicks will be "split" for the lavender gene. This means that each one will possess one copy of the recessive gene. The lavender gene dilutes black pigment to the slate grey "Self Blue," but also dilutes red pigment to a pale straw gold color.

Here is a color calculator that I like to play with: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingKipFlexTree.html
It's really easy to use and will give you a good idea of what to expect out of those breedings.

[/IMG]I picked up 9 chicks today from my local ruralk... The bin was assorted clean leg bantams, hatch 4/29. The ones I choose are a reddish chipmunk, but the feathers are coming in with lots of white in them, and they all have white bibs and pale legs.
Would i be correct to assume that these are likely to be spangled or mille fleur oegbs?(my fingers are crossed)

Last edited:
Hello all! This is Pancake and I've been told she is a black breasted red old English game bantam. (When we bought her it just said bantams-mix) She is 12 weeks old and the sweetest, silliest little bird ever! We got her by mistake. The feed store sold the chicks they were holding for me. My 7-year-old son was devestated and fell in love with this teeny little fluff ball. I'm so glad things ended up working out this way!
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom