Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
We are allowed to have roosters and hens. We are in farm country! I would appreciate the help in getting him started. We have been having an awful time trying to find anything w/o paying $70 for shipping and the risk in that is stressful after putting the money into it. That's why we thought this would be our best bet. We are for sure going to be there. Already have the hotel room reserved and are going with a friend who is showing ducks and geese.

Would he be interested in Wheaton or Blue Wheaton or black? If so I will find someone who will transport them.

Lol! He is torn between blue wheaton and black. He thinks the blue wheaton would be cool because its different but he loves black too. So, he said whichever of the two you think would be best. He's 10. Very indecisive! We appreciate this more than you can understand. He had a huge letdown today when he had an MRI done on his knee. He can't play football the rest of this season and no horseback riding either. Fair is 3 weeks away. Totally crushed him. He is very happy now though!

Quite interesting there... So far here are the results of the 1st gen offsprings.
1st hatch (recorded) produced 50/50 Black barred and Golden.With 3 of the Golden being barred cockerels and 2 G pullets/1 golden buff
2nd hatch (recorded) produced 3 Black barred(2 pullet/1cockerel) and 4 golden(1 Golden PAIR/1 Golden Barred Pair)
3rd (recorded) I have 3 Blk Barred Cockerels/4Black Barred pullets.!Golden Barred Cockerel/1 golden cockerel/2 golden pullets and 1 golden barred pullet
Basically 50% nice Black barred.Of those so far I have been producing pretty much even pairs.(M/F ratio currently I have 1 extra pullet in the 3mo pen)Also have appr 50% in Golden colors(meaning either barred or plain).
I have another set in the big brooder I will calculate tomorrow,and a hatch from yesterday of 6(3 Black barred/3 golden)It usually takes a few weeks for the barring to become evident of course.
So far the Black barred are really nice.Not saying show worthy or anything...lol... Just really nice bright defined coloring.So far no leakages in any of the offspring ,but none are more than 6 mos either.

SO....of those offspring,which should I bring back to the original roo?

On a side note...Carl...I have a 3 mo old Opal!!!! I THINK it's a pullet with color? Like a lil closer to roo color,but not ALL over.I'll take a pic tomorrow if it quits raining and I bath her...lol...AND I have an egg in the box...lol.
Could the Opal produce a black?I have one oddball I just dont know about.Jet black.I'm pretty sure all my other OEGB were gone by that incubation set.

Quote:
Would he be interested in Wheaton or Blue Wheaton or black? If so I will find someone who will transport them.

Lol! He is torn between blue wheaton and black. He thinks the blue wheaton would be cool because its different but he loves black too. So, he said whichever of the two you think would be best. He's 10. Very indecisive! We appreciate this more than you can understand. He had a huge letdown today when he had an MRI done on his knee. He can't play football the rest of this season and no horseback riding either. Fair is 3 weeks away. Totally crushed him. He is very happy now though!

I will set out a trio of each, and make arrangements for someone to bring them to him at Crossroads. They will be young but teh pullets will be good for spring shows and the cockrells for next fall and after. that should get him a real good start on the two varities and he can choose which he likes best. but he will win more with the Blue Wheaton. due to less competition.

Quote:
On the Buff barred it sounds as if one of teh parents is homozygous for Barring otherwize all the offspring would be barred, Was that when mated to Black barred hen? If so keep several of the barred pullets and if you have Buff barred pullets definetly set them asside in a seperate pen. You cab rotate the cock bird every day or every other day to cover both pens.

On the Opal, You got them from Ron and based on what they were last crossed with and what they were crossed with prior to that yes Blacks from Ron's Opals are not uncommon, as well as other things. All the recent crosses have not been breed back out of them and they carry alot of stuff under the surface.

Last edited:
I just found this thread. This spring I obtained some OE bantams from my sisters show birds. I ended up with 6 pullets and one rooster. I have two pullets each of brown red, BBred and lemon blue. The one rooster is a BBred, so I have a trio of those. I keep getting the brown red and the BBred mixed up in my head. I'll get it straight one of these days.

I didn't think I would like these bantams, but they have grown on me and I just LOVE their friendly, curious personalities. They are here to stay. I will try to get some pictures over the next few days. I'm in the process of rearranging pens before the weather gets cold this winter. I was hoping to have a new poultry barn this summer, but it's going to have to wait till next year, so I am going to "plan B" for my poultry for the winter.

I will read back through more of this thread as I get time.

Quote:
We were told a lot of negative things about the breed when we got our first hen and have found them to be all false. That hen, a little spangled OEGB, sits on his shoulder every night while he feeds the animals. Its absolutely hysterical! We love our other two hens as well. Very friendly little birds, although they don't think they are part parrot like our spangled!

Quote:
then How is he producing Black hens?.. or did you mean Black Barred?

Wow, we will dig even deeper then,

we shall then, since you stated you thought him to be homozygous for sex linked Barring

before I start lets get some genetic jargon clear for some of our new members

Homozygous: is when identical(same) alleles of the gene are present on both homologous chromosomes. example Barring B/B

Heterozygous: is when different alleles of the gene are present on both homologous chromosomes. example Barring B/b

Hemizygous: is when only and ONLY one copy of the allele of the gene can be present because there is no other Homologuous Chromosome present(hens are always represented as B/- the dash is the void of the other Z chromosom, Hens can only be ZW)

Quote:
two copies of Dominant Barring (B/B) will make him Homozygous not heterozygous. Barred Female can only be Hemizygous for Barring B/-

Quote:
most buff birds are eWheaten or eb(partridge) a Buff bird can not be based on Extended Black because it is epistatic to the genes that make buff birds, both Columbian Restrictors(Darkbrown DB and Columbian Co)..

Quote:
Barred hens Can´t be Heterozygous, they can only be Hemizygous

Quote:
if the rooster is infact Heterozygous for sex linked Barring that´s a big Yes...

Quote:
see below examples....

Quote:
Let me Guess...Actually I will not guess I can asure you The Rooster is Split(layman word for Heterozygous) for sex link Barring(B) and the Hen is Split for autosomal(Non sex linked gene allele) Extended Black(E)

now with this in mind just use Mr. Henk Calculator to predict the out come of the next F1xF1 or F1xP cross...

here...
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Quote:
I guess(I dont like to guess but you leave me no option) you want the seme Rooster Phenotype(Looks) then you should use the hens that look more like him, even if they are not barred...the mating of this will result in 50% barred boys and 50% barred Hens....

Last edited:
I did have teh heterozygous and Homozygous descriptions backwards please excuse my ignorance.. I shall bow to you for being so elequent in you explanations. there are far too many variables to state that the bird will produce any one particular thing given crosses of birds with unknown breeding backgrounds and these are all guesses. i will agree most buff are wheaton in base and most barred are extended black in base. I will also agree that color inheritance on sex linked chromosomes will have a known effect on the pullets from a male however Patterns inheritance I will disagree on based more on experience than anything else.
I shall from this point leave this discussion for you and will bow out and agree to disagree while we or at least I am guessing at the base of birds I did not produce.

Back
Top Bottom