Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

When showing, do you need to supply the show pens or are the birds put into pens supplied by the show? I'd love to try showing my OEGB Pullets and maybe my Sicilian Buttercups. They're hatchery quality but I have a couple that seem pretty decent to look at, especially the Buttercups.
How do I train them for show? My OEGB Pullets are really tame but my Buttercups will need some taming. They like hanging out with me but not being held.

When you show them It is like dogs sort of. There are different breeds and each breed needs to look a certain way. They get points based on different traits. Usually the cages are provided but you have to pay a small fee per bird sometimes. Buttercups are a very difficult breed, especially hatchery quality.

Quote:
The show has all the show coops set and arranged. You supply a clean well conditioned bird, and a copy of your NPIP flock certificate with your entry fee.
When you arrive to check in they will have the exihibitor package for you, fiind your name and ex. #, locate the tags with your ex. # and bird description and Leg Band #. Put your bird in that hole. Sit back and wait.

Quote:
You should bathe the birds in full no less than 7 days perferably 10 days prior to show. You can use a poultry shampoo, I like Adams Fea and Tick dog shampoo myself.. (so long as they are not white)

If the bird has mites do not take the bird to the show.. It will be handled by the judge and you will pass the mites to every bird he handles after yours..

For Mites I like to dip the birds in a mix of Permethrin and water.. You can bathe them with Adams Flea and Tick or other flea and tick shampoo as well. Either way you will need to repeat the treatment every 7-10 days 3 times to mae sure you get them, you should also spray the pen and perch to kill the mites from the pen to prevent re-infestation.

If this is leg mites you are asking about, mix some permethrin in the vaseline, and coat the legs daily for a week, wash daily coat daily.. Leg mites are tough to get rid of but given time you can clean them up.

Quote:
it can be a chore we have been keeping 30-40 put up for show season, with nationals coming up it will likely increase to 50+, or I will say to heck with it and just set the winter breed pens. It all depends on how serious the boy's are about helping this time..

Thats just amazing. I don't see how you can do it. I would love to have a few kids to mentor.
big_smile.png

I will send them your way.. You have to feed them too. and that is not fun when mostly extra boys.. My 3 boys, 3 boys from up the road, local 4-h, FFA, and others its a chore.. But just keeping ours put up is tough. I am almost glad when a bird drops a feather or gets a major nick thats 1 less to keep up with. Put 3 out last week. getting tougher on teh choices with nationals coming in a few weeks its that final push and only the best will be seen.
I have decided I am not showing at the OE nationals.. I have enough to keep up with the boy's can have a good time and I will enjoy thier smiles rather than stressing over it.

Quote:
The show has all the show coops set and arranged. You supply a clean well conditioned bird, and a copy of your NPIP flock certificate with your entry fee.
When you arrive to check in they will have the exihibitor package for you, fiind your name and ex. #, locate the tags with your ex. # and bird description and Leg Band #. Put your bird in that hole. Sit back and wait.

Excellent. And, how do you get the NPIP#?
Oh, I may be moving to OK next year, BTW. I lived there for 12 years, only moved to AZ because I was going through a divorce. I was four years in Hominy while going to school in Tulsa and 8 years near Medicine Park. I was stationed at Ft. Sill and then stayed there after retiring from the Army. I really miss OK and can't wait to leave AZ. My new hubby is finishing his doctorate and I've convinced him to move to OK and try the country/farming lifestyle. He's a total city boy and has lived in Phoenix almost his entire life.

Last edited:
Quote:

Excellent. And, how do you get the NPIP#?
Oh, I may be moving to OK next year, BTW. I lived there for 12 years, only moved to AZ because I was going through a divorce. I was four years in Hominy while going to school in Tulsa and 8 years near Medicine Park. I was stationed at Ft. Sill and then stayed there after retiring from the Army. I really miss OK and can't wait to leave AZ. My new hubby is finishing his doctorate and I've convinced him to move to OK and try the country/farming lifestyle. He's a total city boy and has lived in Phoenix almost his entire life.

I am not sure how it works in AZ. I would think they still have county ag extension offices though..

I have the state test my birds and inspect facilities, then pay $5 for teh flock cert. Others use private testers and you pay by the bird..

Look me up when you get back to OK.. I grew up here, went to basic at Sill, AIT in Ft Gordon, then to germany, Ft Bliss, then Panama. and back stateside. I seperated back in 94 and traveled everywhere for about 10 years then finally landed back home to stay..

What part of OK. ar eyou thinking? If you make it by June you could join us for a gathering here called POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap) Its a great event where we all get together from all over the state have a good pot luck meal, with grilled everything, drawings, games for the kids and openly discuss and trade birds, we put up different booths to demostrate techniques for care, show prep, dubbing, processing extra birds etc. everything a person needs to know..

Quote:
Anytime, anything I can do help just ask..

Are you going to make Shawnee? Would be good to meet you..

I've thought about it. But I'm going to Fayetteville this weekend. If I did, it would be just to watch and learn. We don't have the best birds by any means. Right now we are just learning the correct way to handle, clean and general care of the birds. Its a lot to take in. Thanks Gena

Back
Top Bottom