Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
You will find very few serious OE Breeders maintaining or showing Self Blue due to feather quality problems common to the variety. Sickles are almost always weak and thin as well other feathers being thin and brittle.

I believed this has been solved in other breeds, and it can be solved here aswell..

Nica, are there other breeds that have the full tails like oegb, that were self blue? I know of the duccles, but they seem to always have that same problem. I know some folks that are half a dozen generations into self blue moderns, dame problems.

Quote:
You will find very few serious OE Breeders maintaining or showing Self Blue due to feather quality problems common to the variety. Sickles are almost always weak and thin as well other feathers being thin and brittle.

I believed this has been solved in other breeds, and it can be solved here aswell..

I know ther fighting the same problem in Orpington, Cochin and others. You can reduce the problem for a generation or two by crossing with black but the resolution is short lived once breeding Self Blue x Self Blue is resumed.

Quote:

Nica, are there other breeds that have the full tails like oegb, that were self blue? I know of the duccles, but they seem to always have that same problem. I know some folks that are half a dozen generations into self blue moderns, dame problems.

Leghorns...
wink.png

Quote:

Leghorns...
wink.png

We need photos!
smile.png
How many generations into self blue x self blue are they? The first few generations of a good outcross will show improvements, but continual breeding of sb x sb will reduce feather quality. At least from my studies and reading.

Quote:
Leghorns...
wink.png

We need photos!
smile.png
How many generations into self blue x self blue are they? The first few generations of a good outcross will show improvements, but continual breeding of sb x sb will reduce feather quality. At least from my studies and reading.

http://www.leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf

you can add. lavender

sebrightLavender.jpg

nice reading on Blue(Bl/bl+) plus lav/lav

Quote:

Last edited:
Do you have pics of self blue leghorns? Especially the cock birds.... how many generations of sb x sb are they?

Last edited:
Quote:
Overall based on the photos not bad, the item of concern to me is the apparent stippling on the wing primaries or is this just an illision based on the photo? The Black areas within the wing should be solid in color rather than stippled.

Back
Top Bottom